Cooling System, Few Quick Questions

aconnors

Dec 20, 2016
I have a 1992 2.3l with the 5 speed manual.

First question about the heater core, is it the same as doing it on the 5.0? Same heater core and dash disassembly? And what hoses do I need? I saw 2 short ones but my car has 2 long hoses, one to water pump and one to intake. (I saw a kit with 2 short tubes with bends)

Also my heater core isn't leaking into the passenger floor, it's leaking out of the firewall onto the street. Interior reeks of coolant and it's leaking, 100% gonna assume it's the heater core, right? (I can grab a pic of the hole in the firewall where it leaks from, I believe it's where the AC condenser drips from, but my coolant is leaking from there)

Next question, my car runs extremely cool, summer, winter, short trips, long trips (2hrs) unless I'm idling for an extended period of time(NY traffic, drive thru) is my thermostat not working properly? When the temperature does go up during long traffic and drive thrus it goes up to about half way. The second I start moving again it drops down (pic attached below, arrow is where it normally sits while driving, what the gauge is it, is where it is when it idles for an extended period of time (5-10mins))

Attachments

• received_1464321616912144.jpeg
    received_1464321616912144.jpeg
    83.6 KB · Views: 176
  • Sponsors (?)

1. Yes it's the same, replace heater core buy new hoses replace all at once.

2. While you are replacing the radiator hoses and heater core hoses go ahead and do the thermostat. Most likely it is stuck open or non-existant.

Been driving it the last few weeks and when I'd turn the heat on to see if it smelt look coolant it reeled and typically left a puddle under the car , tonight it smelled for a minute and went away. Heat still blows really hot but my defroster isn't defrosting the window at all. And sometimes my car has no puddle of coolant under it, but this is where it's leaking from.

Attachments

• IMG_20161221_215855.jpg
    IMG_20161221_215855.jpg
    413.3 KB · Views: 148
My first post will fix all your problems.
Already started pulling everything apart and labeling everything, heater core is coming in mail tomorrow. Pulled out seats and center console to make life easier. I want this to go as smoothly as possible being it's my daily driver. Thanks again

Attachments

• IMG_20161221_165129.jpg
    IMG_20161221_165129.jpg
    840.5 KB · Views: 147