Cost To Replace 86 Convertible Top

Matt1986GT

Jun 27, 2015
I'm looking to replace the top on my 86 GT in the spring. The motor works fine. Has anyone recently had this done and if so , how much it cost to have it replaced and installed? Also if anyone lives on Long Island can you recommend a reputable shop that will do this?

• Sponsors (?)

Ok so all in total with cable and pads, what did it come to? I believe oem was vinyl right? But I'm hearing cloth is better. Car sits outside under a cover most of time so I really want something that looks oem but is also durable so I won't have to do this again

I'm looking to replace the top on my 86 GT in the spring. The motor works fine. Has anyone recently had this done and if so , how much it cost to have it replaced and installed? Also if anyone lives on Long Island can you recommend a reputable shop that will do this?
Ameircanmuscle.com has the black or white replacement vinyl top for 169.00. Not sure of the quality, i have yet to order mine. They also have the top pads for 69.00. IDK how hard the installation would be.

thank you for that information. I actually have an appointment on August 13 to get the top replaced. At least this way the work is guaranteed for five years by people who do this kid of thing all the time. I still have some other work to do including replacing the seatbelts and fixing the drivers door lock. After that I hope to be done. It will be nice to finally feel comfortable putting the top down in a few weeks!

Reactions: 1 user
Roughly 1200 to replace the top, cables and pads. I know a lot more than if I knew how to do it myself, although least now I know it will be guaranteed for a few years if something were to go wrong. M looking forward to "restoring" the car back to its former glory and this will be a big first step.