Cost

I guess it’s just a matter of whether or not you want people to take you serious and help you. If you can’t be bothered to put all 4 letters in the word “your”, ( and just about every other thing you write) most people here won’t be bothered to answer your questions.

Seems pretty simple to me.

If you want to play in the deep end of the pool, learn how to swim.
And leave your water wings on the deck.
Right okay buddy you have had your fun find the next forum to criticize.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Dave,

It is not hard to do this yourself. The basics on taking an engine out is as follows. ( I am just posting an example)
  1. Engine Hoist, Jack Stands, Haynes Manual are a Must, Engine stand is helpful but not 100% needed.
  2. Get the car off the ground so you can be under it comfortably.
  3. Take Pictures of everything that you unplug. This Includes wires, hoses and vacuum lines
  4. When you remove an engine you must unbolt the 2 Engine Mounts, Transmission Mount and the Driveshaft. (This allows you to take the trans out with the engine)
  5. Remove the Radiator (drained Obviously)
  6. You can unbolt and move the PS Pump and the AC compressor off to each side (Look at my build thread)
  7. Lift the Engine.
  8. Once the Engine is out, unbolt the transmission.
  9. From here you can do all that you need. (If you look at my build thread, I seriously just did all of this and have pictures for the most part)
If this car is not a Daily Driver, this is something that you can do at the house. If you choose to. The price that you were quoted is also very reasonable for a shop to do this for you. Most of us do not use the Mustang as a DD (Daily Driver) and we do these things ourselves because we use it as therapy to get away from the world and get into something that makes us happy. (And to beat the :poo: out of something when we need it most)

I run a shop. Many of the members here are mechanics in one for or another and all will jump in and will help you with any issue. Many of us are also 40+ years old and are educated in life lessons which make us a certain way. We will Bust your balls on things. We will poke fun at you on things. We will also help you with what we know and the experiences we have had in turning a wrench. You have already seen what replies come from typing like you are sending a Text, on Twitter, or on Facebook. We cut up a LOT here but we are also serious about the knowledge we can offer. A perfect example here is looking at the "CT" (Custom Title) of the members, They are earned by usually saying something incredibly stupid at the right time. It does not mean that anyone thinks less of the person with the "CT", usually it means that you are accepted as one of the boys. (I do know how ironic that sentence is with my "CT".

I have, in the past, been over to other members places and helped them with a build project and two have helped me at times. In time, you may find someone close in OK that can lend a hand or you could help them and learn from the experience. Like @General karthief (Still don't know why both words are not capitalized) said. Do Not lose sight of why you came here just because the guys went all Grammar Nazi on you (One day you will see the Joke that @CarMichael Angelo put in this thread). It isn't hard to use complete sentences here, proper punctuation and paragraphs to convey what you are asking. It really helps us follow what is going on so we can help solve the problem.

Trust me, You are not the first, Nor the last member who will come in and post with a sentence which gets many members replying with grammar corrections.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Dave,

It is not hard to do this yourself. The basics on taking an engine out is as follows. ( I am just posting an example)
  1. Engine Hoist, Jack Stands, Haynes Manual are a Must, Engine stand is helpful but not 100% needed.
  2. Get the car off the ground so you can be under it comfortably.
  3. Take Pictures of everything that you unplug. This Includes wires, hoses and vacuum lines
  4. When you remove an engine you must unbolt the 2 Engine Mounts, Transmission Mount and the Driveshaft. (This allows you to take the trans out with the engine)
  5. Remove the Radiator (drained Obviously)
  6. You can unbolt and move the PS Pump and the AC compressor off to each side (Look at my build thread)
  7. Lift the Engine.
  8. Once the Engine is out, unbolt the transmission.
  9. From here you can do all that you need. (If you look at my build thread, I seriously just did all of this and have pictures for the most part)
If this car is not a Daily Driver, this is something that you can do at the house. If you choose to. The price that you were quoted is also very reasonable for a shop to do this for you. Most of us do not use the Mustang as a DD (Daily Driver) and we do these things ourselves because we use it as therapy to get away from the world and get into something that makes us happy. (And to beat the :poo: out of something when we need it most)

I run a shop. Many of the members here are mechanics in one for or another and all will jump in and will help you with any issue. Many of us are also 40+ years old and are educated in life lessons which make us a certain way. We will Bust your balls on things. We will poke fun at you on things. We will also help you with what we know and the experiences we have had in turning a wrench. You have already seen what replies come from typing like you are sending a Text, on Twitter, or on Facebook. We cut up a LOT here but we are also serious about the knowledge we can offer. A perfect example here is looking at the "CT" (Custom Title) of the members, They are earned by usually saying something incredibly stupid at the right time. It does not mean that anyone thinks less of the person with the "CT", usually it means that you are accepted as one of the boys. (I do know how ironic that sentence is with my "CT".

I have, in the past, been over to other members places and helped them with a build project and two have helped me at times. In time, you may find someone close in OK that can lend a hand or you could help them and learn from the experience. Like @General karthief (Still don't know why both words are not capitalized) said. Do Not lose sight of why you came here just because the guys went all Grammar Nazi on you (One day you will see the Joke that @CarMichael Angelo put in this thread). It isn't hard to use complete sentences here, proper punctuation and paragraphs to convey what you are asking. It really helps us follow what is going on so we can help solve the problem.

Trust me, You are not the first, Nor the last member who will come in and post with a sentence which gets many members replying with grammar corrections.
I got it and apologize if i came off wrong but will definitely spell it out and use.i really appreciate the advice and help

I personally think you guys are F'en nuts telling him to get an engine hoist.
That is NOT the place someone starts.
I'm an electrical contractor and help people learn and do their own work all the time, they start at changing a light or a receptacle and work their way up, I don't just tell them climb a ladder and cut the feed from the street live and pull out their electrical panel.

Part of giving your advice is knowing your audience.
I'm all for him doing his own work and learning, but let's not get him killed.

Glad you fixed the grammar issue's Dave, it really wasn't a good look.
You asked a page back why it mattered, think of it this way, you are talking to a guy in person with no belt, pants at his knees holding them up with one hand with his had on crooked, that's how you sounded (hoping that is not you).

Edit: I also don't know why the pump has to be changed, they rarely fail on their own. If I remember correctly the gasket can be changed without removing the pan itself. Pain in the ass? Sure, but far easier than pulling the engine.

Last edited:
  • Loved It!
I'm an electrical contractor and help people learn and do their own work all the time, they start at changing a light or a receptacle and work their way up, I don't just tell them climb a ladder and cut the feed from the street live and pull out their electrical panel.

You asked a page back why it mattered, think of it this way, you are talking to a guy in person with no belt, pants at his knees holding them up with one hand with his had on crooked, that's how you sounded (hoping that is not you).

Edit: I also don't know why the pump has to be changed, they rarely fail on their own. If I remember correctly the gasket can be changed without removing the pan itself. Pain in the ass? Sure, but far easier than pulling the engine.

Ok thank you i really appreciate it.I will talk like im meant to be heard thanks for the info.

Reactions: 1 users

Suggestions at this point are just that. We are still getting to know each other and nobody has reached for the check yet. Dave could be very mechanically inclined and have a photogenic memory for all we know at this point. I pulled my first engine at 16 in a Buick Regal. I didn't have to go inside the engine so once I got done what I needed to do (rear main seal, motor mounts, transmission mount) then I put it back together. It really is not hard to do what was mentioned in the first post. It can be done by anyone who has patience and mechanical aptitude.

Suggestions at this point are just that. We are still getting to know each other and nobody has reached for the check yet. Dave could be very mechanically inclined and have a photogenic memory for all we know at this point. I pulled my first engine at 16 in a Buick Regal. I didn't have to go inside the engine so once I got done what I needed to do (rear main seal, motor mounts, transmission mount) then I put it back together. It really is not hard to do what was mentioned in the first post. It can be done by anyone who has patience and mechanical aptitude.
Thank you for the boost of confidence. just wish i had someone to kinda help me through it or actually help do it.

I had a stock oil pump shaft go like a Twizzler (licorice stick) on a 5.0. The upgraded shaft is a very good idea.
Aftermarket Cam . It only has 1 .

Yeah seems reasonable considering the engine basically has to come out of the car to do it right . You can sneak it in the car with the trans pulled as mentioned . But i like to just pull it at that point . Real reasonable . Get a hardened oil pump shaft while you’re in there.

With the books and YouTube available plus forums like this it should be not to difficult to do your self. Sure you will make "dumb" mistakes but that is how we learn. I started do it myself to save money, but more importantly to have it done right, the sense of accomplishment is a bonus not to be overlooked. If you are lazy or cringe at the sight of grease under your nails(good gloves now though)please disregard the the above.

Everything is a nut and bolt (with a few wires to unplug). With enough time and patience (as mentioned) anything can be done. Going slow and being smart about doing things safe would be at the forefront of each step I take, being a first timer. And at any point you get stuck, the answer can be found here, or after a few posts, will be answered.
So while you may be by yourself, as many of us are when doing the work we do, you have everyone here at your disposal and more than willing to help!
I say go for it.

Everything is a nut and bolt (with a few wires to unplug). With enough time and patience (as mentioned) anything can be done. Going slow and being smart about doing things safe would be at the forefront of each step I take, being a first timer. And at any point you get stuck, the answer can be found here, or after a few posts, will be answered.
So while you may be by yourself, as many of us are when doing the work we do, you have everyone here at your disposal and more than willing to help!
I say go for it.
Yes it definitely sounds like something I really want to attempt myself. Hopefully it won't be to difficult and if I have any questions or need help understanding what I have done or may be doing. I really appreciate everyone's support and knowledge they share

I had a stock oil pump shaft go like a Twizzler (licorice stick) on a 5.0. The upgraded shaft is a very good idea.

That's what happened to mine, and facilitated me pulling an engine for the first time ever.

@Daves_foxbody89 you can definitely do it. I thought I was retarded when it comes to automotive endeavors, but I figured it out. Turns out I was just inexperienced. Experience is experience, including failure. Lots of it. That''s why we try our best here to give you good advice, and the best advice comes from our failures, not our success stories.

Watch as many videos as you need to before you start. Label everything. I was made fun of for the amount of labeling I did, but it helps my process (if you can even call it that). Have some patience and some fun, and you'll do fine. If you want a laugh, and probably a confidence booster, check out my progress thread. In no time at all you'll realize, if this idiot can do it, so can I.

That's what happened to mine, and facilitated me pulling an engine for the first time ever.

@Daves_foxbody89 you can definitely do it. I thought I was retarded when it comes to automotive endeavors, but I figured it out. Turns out I was just inexperienced. Experience is experience, including failure. Lots of it. That''s why we try our best here to give you good advice, and the best advice comes from our failures, not our success stories.

Watch as many videos as you need to before you start. Label everything. I was made fun of for the amount of labeling I did, but it helps my process (if you can even call it that). Have some patience and some fun, and you'll do fine. If you want a laugh, and probably a confidence booster, check out my progress thread. In no time at all you'll realize, if this idiot can do it, so can I.
Thanks buddy that gives me a lot of confidence. I want to do this myself so that in the future I can already have a little knowledge about how to remove the engine so that if anything was to need done I'm able.not to mention would love to say im the one who finally fix my own car lol thanks again