could too much oil cause pcv valve to pop off?

lxboy

Jan 16, 2003
connecticut
hey guys i just bought new stang about a month ago. THe car has alot of goodies including a pro bullet 306 and novi 2k with all the bolt ons. I changed the oil for the first time yesterday. The car has a canton 7 qrt oil pan and common sense would tell me to put in 7 qts of oil. I could have sworn i remembered the guy i brought it from telling me that he put 8 qrts of oil in when he changed it. I thought this sounded weird so i put in seven and the car ran great. Later that night i did a little spirited driving including a 1-4th gear full boost run. Still no problems at all. I decided to add an extra quart of oil in the car because it was bothering me that the guy i bought it from told me to put in eight. Well after puting in the extra quart (now at 8 qrts total) i went for a highway run from third to the top of 4th gear and what to you know poof clouds of smoke from the tail pipes. I pulled over at the nearest spot and there was some oil on the fender wall and around the dip stick. Some friends and i decided the pcv valve had popped off and when i reached back there the hose was disconnected. So i pushed the groment back in and the car drove fine and didnt let out a bit of smoke the rest of the night. I dont think i have a crankcase ventilation problem because the car has been run hard for a while without any blowby except this night right after i added the extra quart. i rechanged the oil and made sure there was exactly seven qrts no more no less and i havnt romped on it since but when i give it a little gas it feels totally fine. My question is does it make sense that the extra quart could have cause some slight blow by or should i look into this a little more carefully. Thanks and sorry for the long post i just wanted to make sure you guys had all the details.

• Sponsors (?)

So you run a mix of PCV and a breather? I would run one or the other. If using a PCV set up, a Turbo PCV might help (from a TC, Supra, et al). Or just do the breather method and run a couple of them.

Or at least make sure the PCV grommet and valve fit tight. Old grommets tend to vulcanize, which makes it easy for the valve to pop out.

Good luck.

I have a Canton 7 pt pan and have had similar concerns over the oil level.

Turns out the "7qt pan" is actually a 6qt pan and the filter makes the system 7qt. This is the response I got from Canton.

Many people will say that you can run less than max capacity with these pans to avoid kicking oil up onto the crank, and still not get starvation on accelleration or in the turns. This is because of the baffling of the oil pan itself.

I would say that your oil level was too high. In my experience that is when blowby will result in oil blowing out of the PCV or oil dipstick or gasket the most. It only gets worse when you overfill the oil pan. I can't explain why, but that is what I saw when the wrong rings gave me 20% blowby.

As HISSIN50 said though you should probably use a PCV from a boost application. It has worked for others.