coupe vs. vert - need feedback

• Sponsors (?)

You are going to get answers that go each way. I have a Vert GT and I live in NE Ohio near Cleveland which has the same if not worse winter weather than NY. The beauty of the Vert is that they only weigh 150 lbs more than the coupe, they have the QUIETEST soft top I have ever been in, and when you get the good weather they cannot be beat.

Some will say the coupe looks better but I think they both look good in their own way. My BLK on BLK turns heads and gets compliments everwhere I go.

You can't lose either way, the Mustang is a great car!

thanks mash! tough decision to make. I am coming from having a toyota 4runner so it's a pretty drastic change in vehicle.
never owned a vert but the coupe just looks so darn mean. I think you loose some of the classic lines with the vert.

With the S197's you cant go wrong with either. Just go with the one you like the most. I live in AZ and the weather is always good for a convertible but when you CAN have the top down, you'll be glad you have a 'vert. I'd say go for the 'vert. :nice:

Farell

I have a 1966 convertible and a 2005 coupe. I get sun burned or wind burned every time I drive the convertible with the top down. I love my air conditioner. The convertible is also noisier. And I have yet to see a convertible that won't leak at least a little when it rains heavily.
I love the convertible, but I only enjoy the top down a couple of times a year. For a daily driver, I would want the coupe.
Just my opinion.

Coup vs 'Vert

stanmckinney said:
I have a 1966 convertible and a 2005 coupe. I get sun burned or wind burned every time I drive the convertible with the top down. I love my air conditioner. The convertible is also noisier. And I have yet to see a convertible that won't leak at least a little when it rains heavily.
I love the convertible, but I only enjoy the top down a couple of times a year. For a daily driver, I would want the coupe.
Just my opinion.

I have owned many convertibles in my life, until my 2006 GT, I would have agreed with stanmckinney. I am telling you, the new Mustang rag top is as quiet as the coup and in 9000 miles, I haven't had a drop of water leak in in either the hardest rain or a high pressure car wash. This car is fantastic. The Mustang Coup looks great-no argument here but nothing but NOTHING beats crusing with the top down. Just my $.02 worth! :nice:

well my dad has the v6 convert and i have the Gt coupe. so i think i have a bit of experiance with boht. haha First off i like the looks of my car better, but thats a bit biased im sure. The convertable is ALOT more fun to drive in here in california. one complaint about the convertable. if you often carry 3-4 people in the car at a time, my mother has complained about the backseat on the convert and not on the coupe. SHe claims the backseat is uncomfortable in the coupe and the gt she doesnt want to get out. So keep that in mind. But the convertable doesnt have that much wind noise so that shouldnt be a deciding factor for you. It depends on what your long term plans for the car are. If it serves as a primary form of comfortable transportation, then get the coupe. if you like to drive and go out on sunny days just to enjoy the weather.. get the convertable. Also keep in mind if you ever plan on racing the Gt or going to a track, they wont let you on if you do not have a roll cage in the convertable. so it just depends on what you want. An easy way to find which one you want... drive them both... get the feeling in both sunny, and rainy weather. we can give you all the consultation you want but its you who is the judge. sry if thats not helpful. haha either way your going to be fine with either choice. Happy chooising.

Sy

thanks everyone. I'm still undecided. driving myself and my wife crazy. printouts from the ford website, brochures, etc all over the home office!

drove the vert yesterday, liked it alright, not sure about it for everyday usage. my biggest fear is getting the vert and once it gets really cold again I'll be miserable.

plus the coupe looks badass.

Coup vs 'Vert

Why would you be miserable?? That triple layer top that makes them quiet also keeps them warm! Choose a coup if you want to, but make sure you choose it for the right reasons. I'm telling you, crusing with the top down, listening to the sweet exhaust is better than sex!

For me the difference was in being able to fit or not. I do not fit comfortably in the hardtop version of my '03 Cobra, my head hits the roof. The convertible gives another inch or so of headroom which was enough for me to be completely comfortable (though I can never put the sun visor down or it blocks my vision). I've been in both versions of the new stang and they have plenty of room, but I would definitely go sit in both. They have a very different feel to them. Also, if your not a young guy anymore the convertible is a lot easier to get in and out of.:D

Coupe: Looks badass and maintains the classic look better, slightly lighter than the vert and less expensive than the Vert.

Vert: Loses a bit of that classic sleakness when the top is up, but looks great with the topdown. Cruising with the top down is great.

I have a GT coupe and I love it. Somedays I wish I could go cruisin with the top down, but I wouldn't trade the look of the GT in for anything. I wouldn't worry about things like leakage or cold weather because from the posts above it sounds like people haven't been encountering these problems. The ragtop sounds like it's reliable. You just need to decide what means more to you - the badass look of the car or driving with the top down.

I struggled with the same question.

Then I looked at a few Converts that had spent a couple of years outside. Being realistic and not having a place to keep my car in from the elements / weather / jerks with egss etc - I decided to do the Coupe..

No regrets...

Gorilla - go with the 'vert. Your wife will love you for it and that can have its own benefits. There is no difference in winter comfort between the 'vert and the coupe and NY summers have moderate temps that are made for 'verts. Think of cruising the Adirondacks or the Finger Lakes region with the lady with the sun shining in. If it gets too hot turn on the A/C. Yep, you can turn on the air with the top down.

I'm a vert guy and never considered a coupe. It's all about being outdoors on a beautiful day with a pretty girl. I live in Chicago, which totally sux in the winter, but the summers make up for it. Besides, everybody looks damn good in a convertable.

wht-v6-vert said:
I'm a vert guy and never considered a coupe. It's all about being outdoors on a beautiful day with a pretty girl. I live in Chicago, which totally sux in the winter, but the summers make up for it. Besides, everybody looks damn good in a convertable.

I think I look pretty damn good in my coupe too :D

thanks so much everyone!

I'm still undecided and I have weighed all your comments. I wish they made the coupe with a factory installed moonroof or targa top, my problems would be solved. either that or a removable hard top like the honda s2000 and many other cars like it. doesnt the t-bird offer that option as well?

Well, I'm making my decision tomorrow, no matter what. I don't have OCD or anything, yet I feel like I do when it comes to this. I am leaning towards the 'vert. I can always trade it in and take a $$ beating if I want to get the coupe.

-thanks,

the somewhat dazed gorilla from NY.

so I looked up al the new features in the '07. heated seats, sirius, aux stereo inputs fot my ipod, sport appearance package...

I think I'm gonna buy out my truck since the lease is over in july, order an 07 gt coupe, and use the truck as a trade-in or sell it privately when the stang finally shows up in september/october. the buyout and fair market value are about even, so it should work out fine