Couple tips on saving $$$ at the pump

clentonz

Jul 13, 2008
Hello all,

This is my first post on Stangnet, even though I have been lurking since I was about 16:D, Just have not bought my mustang yet....but the time is soon about about to sell my Lexus SC400 for a 99+ gt 5 speed. Anyways, while looking on the Lexus forums I found this, and I hope this helps you all with these insane gas prices.....

"I don't know what you guys are paying for petrol... but here in Durban, we are also paying higher, up to 47.35 per litre. But my line of work is in petroleum for about 31 years now, so here are some tricks to get more of your money's worth for every litre.

Here at the Marian Hill Pipeline, where I work in Durban, we deliver about 4 million litres in a 24-hour period thru the pipeline.

One day is diesel; the next day is jet fuel, and petrol, LRP and Unleaded. We have 34-storage tanks here with a total capacity of 16,800,000 litres.

ONLY BUY OR FILL UP YOUR CAR OR BIKKIE IN THE EARLY MORNING WHEN THE GROUND TEMPERATURE IS STILL COLD. Remember that all service stations have their storage tanks buried below ground. The colder the ground, the denser the fuel, when it gets warmer petrol expands, so buying in the afternoon or in the evening.... your litre is not exactly a litre.

In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and the temperature of the petrol, diesel and jet fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products play an important role. A 1degree rise in temperature is a big deal for this business. But the service stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps.

WHEN YOU'RE FILLING UP, DO NOT SQUEEZE THE TRIGGER OF THE NOZZLE TO A FAST MODE. If you look, you will see that the trigger has three (3) stages: low, middle, and high. In slow mode, you should be pumping on low speed, thereby minimizing the vapours that are created, while you are pumping. All hoses at the pump have a vapour return. If you are pumping on the fast rate, some of the liquid that goes to your tank becomes vapour. Those vapours are being sucked up and back into the underground storage tank so you're getting less worth for your money.

ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT TIPS IS TO FILL UP WHEN YOUR TANK IS HALF FULL. The reason for this is, the more fuel you have in your tank, the less air occupying its empty space. Petrol evaporates faster than you can imagine. Petroleum storage tanks have an internal floating roof. This roof serves as zero clearance between the petrol and the atmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation.

Unlike service stations, here where I work, every truck that we load is temperature compensated, so that every litre is actually the exact amount.

ANOTHER REMINDER, IF THERE IS A FUEL TRUCK PUMPING INTO THE STORAGE TANKS, WHEN YOU STOP TO BUY, DO NOT FILL UP - most likely the petrol/diesel is being stirred up as the fuel is being delivered, and you might pick up some of the dirt that normally settles on the bottom.
Hope, this will help you get the maximum value for your money."

• Sponsors (?)

Ha, glad you guys call it as you sees it. I was about to pry into these statements, as i actually did work for a Petroleum company. Technically some of these statements are true, but it equates to saving you as much gas as you can hold in your hand - and then you have to value the time you spend waiting for it to pump slowly or waking up in the morning - time is money. Also, driving habits make up a huge (i'd guess 40%) difference in fuel consumption - amount you use directly correlates to how you drive if your car is running correctly

wow, I feel dumb.....I'm sorry, I thought it was real and made since but I guess not....you can delete it. Great first post.....:(

Don't feel bad about it man, its cool that you came on here trying to help us out and you don't even have a Stang yet...:nice:

Good luck in your search finding one, stick around here as we are pretty useful most of the time...:D

i read this method on bobistheoilsguy.com and been using this method for over a years now, but I do like to fill up after work or late at night.

i try to avoiding driving during the day anyways. I like to drive at night with the HIDs on and the Windows down with the cool air.

....During the day i have been pedaling my Road Bike Around

Temperature underground doesn't vary very much at all. I'm not an outdoorsy guy, but in high school I had a few friends in the Sierra Club (nature/outdoors/hiking club) and they mentioned to me that if you are stuck in a survival situation and need a warm place to stay (assuming you don't have to move around), dig a few feet (~6 if I remember correctly) underground and you'll find it's like 70 degrees down there, even if it's freezing on the surface. I can't imagine a 20 degree difference in surface temperature ammounting to more than a fraction of a degree underground. But I know nothing about how deep those tanks are burried. Thats just what I thought when I first read the story.

By the way SC400's are pretty awesome. First car I ever really drove was an SC400. It was my Mom's, and I was 16. Pretty fast little suckers.

Funny thing was like a year later I went to a Ford dealership one day to talk about getting a Bullitt and he said he wouldn't sell a Bullitt to a 17 year old because I wouldn't be able to handle it. Now I've never driven a Bullitt, but that SC400 was definately faster than the GT I got a year later.

By the way SC400's are pretty awesome. First car I ever really drove was an SC400. It was my Mom's, and I was 16. Pretty fast little suckers.

Funny thing was like a year later I went to a Ford dealership one day to talk about getting a Bullitt and he said he wouldn't sell a Bullitt to a 17 year old because I wouldn't be able to handle it. Now I've never driven a Bullitt, but that SC400 was definately faster than the GT I got a year later.
SC300 with 2JZ swap FTW