Coyote Swap on a 1991 Mustang LX Convertible

Blueinfan

Mar 18, 2021
Temecula
Hi All,
Looking for some information on swapping the engine out of a 1991 Mustang LX convertible to a 2015-2017 Mustang Coyote.

Where can I find the parts that I will need to complete this swap? I have add a picture of the car that I will be swap the engine out.

The engine is stock with about 92k on it.

thanks,
J.

Attachments

• 1991 Mustang LX 12.jpg
    1991 Mustang LX 12.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 102
  • 679199750.jpg
    679199750.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 93
  • Sponsors (?)

That's a pretty good looking car man! You can get most of what you need from LMR.com under their Coyote swap section. You'll need a K Member and control arms, and coil-overs if you don't already have them... you have the CC plates already I see. You'll need to decide on things like brakes and steering, like do you want power or manual? I'd highly recommend power for both which means you'd need a hydroboost setup, but that's just my preference. If you are ok with manual brakes and steering, Maximum Motorsports makes a kit to convert to manual brakes. You'll need to decide on the transmission, if you have the regular AOD or T5, those aren't gonna cut it. You'll need exhaust, BBK makes coyote swap headers you can get at LMR. You'll need engine management, you can either go with the Ford Performance setup (likely the easiest) or something like a holley. If you want to keep the AC you'll need brackets, you can search for "Power By The Hour" brackets which is what a lot of guys use for swaps.

That should be most all of the big parts, but you should expect no less than $20k to get it done, maybe closer to $30k.

Reactions: 1 users
That's a pretty good looking car man! You can get most of what you need from LMR.com under their Coyote swap section. You'll need a K Member and control arms, and coil-overs if you don't already have them... you have the CC plates already I see. You'll need to decide on things like brakes and steering, like do you want power or manual? I'd highly recommend power for both which means you'd need a hydroboost setup, but that's just my preference. If you are ok with manual brakes and steering, Maximum Motorsports makes a kit to convert to manual brakes. You'll need to decide on the transmission, if you have the regular AOD or T5, those aren't gonna cut it. You'll need exhaust, BBK makes coyote swap headers you can get at LMR. You'll need engine management, you can either go with the Ford Performance setup (likely the easiest) or something like a holley. If you want to keep the AC you'll need brackets, you can search for "Power By The Hour" brackets which is what a lot of guys use for swaps.

That should be most all of the big parts, but you should expect no less than $20k to get it done, maybe closer to $30k.
He covered most of it there is a lot of small things also like pedal bracket, fuel system, electric fans, transmission cross member, starter, and tons more. I was able to get it done for $7500 in 2018 but now the prices have went way up on everything.

Reactions: 1 user

WOW!!! I wasn't expecting the cost for the swap to be that much! I guess I will have to wait for now. My budget was less than that. This guy was telling a engine, tran, CPU and cables for 9k.

WOW!!! I wasn't expecting the cost for the swap to be that much! I guess I will have to wait for now. My budget was less than that. This guy was telling a engine, tran, CPU and cables for 9k.
The engine isn't that bad cost wise, honestly, it's damn fair for what you get! Unfortuntately it's all the other parts you'll need to make it work. If you had like a 99 GT for example, it would be substantially less to convert it.

Just to do it with all new parts, LMR sells this kit that costs $18,400 and includes a new Gen 3 engine, T56, clutch/bell/flywheel/etc., and Control pack. That leaves you still needing to account for brakes/K member (and associated parts), steering, exhaust, and fuel.

Buying all of it used will save money but also bring into play things without a warranty or the potential to not work/fit and screw up the plans. like I said, it's not cheap.

Reactions: 1 user