Cracks and spot welds coming apart!! HELP Road Race Question

90muustanggt

Founding Member
Sep 3, 2001
Northern VA
Torque Box (Crack and spot welds Coming Apart, HELP!!) Road Race Question

Ok, so i road race my car frequently and do a thurough checkup before every event. I have an event coming up at summit point the weekend after next. Anyways while i was scraping the tar paper and painting the trunk area of my hatch i noticed that where the driveshaft mates to the trunk area of the car to either side of it looked like some spot welds came undone, also there is a crack on the passenger side. Its in the middle, not where the upper torque box reinforcements would go. I have LCA reinforcements. Do i need the upper control arm reinforcements? What is the weld connected to? Am i running a risk if i dont fix them? Are torque box reinforcements for road race as well and not just Drag?

Sorry about the "run on"s and misspellings im at work.

Attachments

• IMG_1396-3.JPG
    IMG_1396-3.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 134
  • Sponsors (?)

Anytime you increase the stiffness of the upper control arm bushings you increase the tendency for them to bind during cornering maneuvers. This tears up the torque box mountings. One of the fixes for this is Helm ball joints on the chassis side (torque box) side of the upper control arms. Reinforcing the torque boxes will also help. A panhard bar will also help center the rear axle and reduce the stain on torque boxes. Maximum Motorsports is supposed to have a panhard bar that clears the stock exhaust systems
See http://www.
maximummotorsports.com/panhard.asp for more info

jrichker said:
Anytime you increase the stiffness of the upper control arm bushings you increase the tendency for them to bind during cornering maneuvers. This tears up the torque box mountings. One of the fixes for this is Helm ball joints on the chassis side (torque box) side of the upper control arms. Reinforcing the torque boxes will also help. A panhard bar will also help center the rear axle and reduce the stain on torque boxes. Maximum Motorsports is supposed to have a panhard bar that clears the stock exhaust systems
See http://www.
maximummotorsports.com/panhard.asp for more info

I tried clicking on the"www" above and ended up on a Boeing website?:shrug:

Anyway, I have the MM panhard rod. It does clear factory exhaust. If you have aftermarket cat back though you could be in for a little more work. This is a very tight fit.

The difference the panhard makes is amazing. Worth the money in my opinion, espcially if you like the corners.:nice:

On a side note, I just broke one of the brackets on the panhard setup. I guess the 408w does make a little power.:D

jason