Cracks on interior plastic pieces....

Roenick97

Apr 13, 2004
Hey everyone.. On the plastic console pieces that are next to the radio that meet up to the dash in the corners, there are cracks on both sides.. is there any type of product that can be used to fill these cracks? like somethign that you can use to fill them, then sand and use the interior laquer paint? 50 resto doesn't seem to list these panels for replacement and I really don't feel like rooting through a junkyard for them...

• Sponsors (?)

I have spent a fair amount of time digging in the junyards for small pieces, and it has usually proved worthwhile.

Filling in the cracks with body filler, sanding & painting the small trim pieces is more difficult & time consuming than searching the local junkyards.

You can try visiting your local NAPA store. They sell plastic repair epoxy that can be sanded and painted but you'd need to scuff up your plastic to allow for a good bond. I've used it to fill small screw holes that people have done for whatever reasons with good success.

Replace the entire center piece from the rear right up to the radio. Ford Plastic is crap and due to sun, heat and age, makes them brittle.

I've been to many a junkyard and seen lot's of good interior piece in good shape so you should have no problem finding a replacement.

you can repair the interior pieces depending on what type of repair needs to be done. If it is cracked simply repair it on the back with an expoxy. Repairs on the front are more difficult so as to not make it obvious by losing all the grain.