Engine Crank no start.

92Rustang

Nov 11, 2022
Massachusetts
Good evening everyone this is my first post.

I have a 1992 ford mustang gt 5.0 5 speed.
This week my car developed a crank no start condition. Was running last week fine.
So far I have checked and confirmed.
Spark at coil.
Spark at plug.
Injector pulse.
38 psi fuel pressure.

I had the car towed to my house and it sat in my driveway for 2 days. It started (barely ran like crap) and I managed to pull it in my garage it idled for another 10 seconds and then died. Hasn't run since. Not even the slightest bit of trying to run. No one's home in the motor.
No recent motor work.
Looks original Motorcraft dizzy.

I know the infamous pip/tpi dizzy issues. However I don't see point of throwing a new dizzy at it if it has spark.

Thank you in advance,
Mark.

for anyone just joining the thread:
Doesn't start on ether.
Doesn't start when stout is pulled.
Only code is 63. (Tps voltage is at .30 when throttle closed)

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Good evening everyone this is my first post.

I have a 1992 ford mustang gt 5.0 5 speed.
This week my car developed a crank no start condition. Was running last week fine.
So far I have checked and confirmed.
Spark at coil.
Spark at plug.
Injector pulse.
38 psi fuel pressure.

I had the car towed to my house and it sat in my driveway for 2 days. It started (barely ran like crap) and I managed to pull it in my garage it idled for another 10 seconds and then died. Hasn't run since. Not even the slightest bit of trying to run. No one's home in the motor.
No recent motor work.
Looks original Motorcraft dizzy.

Thank you in advance,
Mark.
Your problem sounds MAF related........

Have you tried pulling codes?

koeo code dump. Only showed code 63. tps voltage to low. I currently have the tps adjustment screws loose I was adjusting it yesterday trying to see if there would be a change. I'll check and reset the position with a voltmeter.

Has the regular stuff to motor cam and shortie headers. I did the cam job 15k miles ago unless my dizzy grew legs and flipped itself 180 out while i was at work last week. Haven't tried a shot of starter fluid. I'll give it a shot.
Be careful with that stuff..

The dizzy growing legs or ether shot
Starting fluid
AAKCdO1.jpg

Update: shot of ether does nothing. Throttle blade wide open.

Tps voltage throttle closed: .25/.30 ish (explains the tps voltage low code since spec is around .74 to 1volt closed position. TPS will not adjust to in specifications.
I'll have to order a TPS however to my understanding TPS voltage to low won't cause a no run condition.
TPS voltage wide open was around 3v and change. This tps voltage would explain a rough or non existing Idle. However should still run with throttle pedaling. Additionally a low tps voltage does not kill injector pulse..

Attachments

• 20221112_172846.jpg
    20221112_172846.jpg
    350 KB · Views: 40
Won't start with starting fluid then it's no spark (duh, you knew that) so you stated you do have spark?
I would try holding the throttle down about 1/4-1/3 down and crank for about 20 seconds, if still no start then push throttle down to the floor and crank for 20-30 seconds.

Won't start with starting fluid then it's no spark (duh, you knew that) so you stated you do have spark?
I would try holding the throttle down about 1/4-1/3 down and crank for about 20 seconds, if still no start then push throttle down to the floor and crank for 20-30 seconds.
I've tried all sorts of different throttle positions to get it to even make a hiccup. nothing.

Ok I haven't heard anyone mention the crank no start checklist.
Usually the general post a link, what say you general?
I went thru the crank no start check list before even making this thread. Everything in that checklist shows you where to look if you dont have spark or fuel pressure/injector pulse. Should be called the no spark or fuel pressure/injector pulse check list. I have both.

Please point me in the right direction if I have strayed off the beaten path.

Last edited: