Crankshaft or camshaft position sensor? Car stalls.

5.0Moses

Dec 23, 2019
California
I have a 1994 mustang gt. my Harmonic balancer went out, the car sat for a month until I fixed it, put the new balancer in, it idled just fine. Then I drove it and it was rough. It wouldn’t go when I stepped on the gas, it was sputtering, misfiring, and eventually shut off. I tried starting it, and it wouldn’t. I came back to it a few hours later with some fresh gas, and it started up again. Then eventually died down the street again and didn’t wanna start. I parked the car for about another month, and tried driving it again, same issue, but the lights would flicker, and sounded like the car wants to die. If I pressed the brake or rolled down windows, it’s starts to drain the battery. I feel like it’s something electrical. Someone please help.

• Sponsors (?)

I'd be willing to bet that you or someone set the timing with the old spun balancer, and the timing is really off. Make sure the timing is at 10* BTDC, and don't forget to pull the SPOUT connector.

The 94-95 cars get Codes 10 - Camshaft Position Timing Actuator through Code 25 Camshaft Position Timing over retarded.

What all these codes mean is when the timing is retarded or advanced you'll get an error code like this.

Your timing is way off.

Mark your balancer so is clearly visible then use a timing light to set it between 10-14. Most advance to 14 and use 91-93 Octane.

Sounds like yours is quite bad which means you may have to pull up on the distributor, get your car to TDC and start from scratch.

Reactions: 1 user