Crown Vic-Mustang GT engine swap

Black GT

Sep 8, 2018
Jacksonville, Florida
I have a 2001 GT that has over 200k miles.Engine still runs good but I am in the future going to replace the engine. I will probably find a good running low mileage crown vic P71 (police) engine as a replacement. I have a couple of questions about the swap. 1) Will any year crown vic with a 4.6 swap and be compatible with my cars computer? 2)Will I sacrifice any horsepower with this swap? 3)what parts do I need to swap over off my GT's engine? Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

IMO there is no such thing as a low mileage Police motor. Why? Because Police cars sped sooooooooooooooooo much time idling that mileage is a poor indicator of wear. That's why many police cars have a time based Hobbs meter. For these reasons I would recommend staying away from any motor used in Police fleet service.

#1 recommend using the motor from a 2003+ Panther (Crown Vic, Grand Marquis, Town Car). This will get the update PI heads with more spark plug threads as well as improved rear coolant flow.

#2 no. The long blacks are the SAME. The swap works because the Mustang specific parts will be swapped from the original to the donor.

#3. Put both motors on an engine stand. Make the donor look like the original (electrically). Fuel injectors, fuel rail. oil pan, EGR, wiring harness. The PCM won't be able to tell the difference between the old and new.

The details of this swap has covered many times. Research Windsor to Romeo swap (yes this is a Romeo to Romeo but the details are the same).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user