Electrical Cruise control

So I took off the connector from the amp. Put my red lead on the green and white. Black lead on the orange and yellow. Put the voltmeter on ac, ran the car in 2nd on jackstands and got a big zero on the voltmeter. Where should I go from here?

• Sponsors (?)

You may have either a wiring issue or the VSS has failed. The next step is to remove the VSS from the tailhousing and set the multimeter up to read off of it while you spin it by hand or with a drill. If it still reads zero then it is likely bad

Speedometer is mechanical. The VSS has no function there.

SInce that first test signals a failed VSS, I would back-up that test by probing a different location. I would test in the transmission harness that comes in from under the car. The harness runs under the driver's seat, and over to the driver's kick panel. Inside, you'll find a black 8-pin connector that should have the same wire colors in it. You can test at this location.

If it fails there, I would pull the VSS off completely and test it like steve said.

Last edited:
You may have either a wiring issue or the VSS has failed. The next step is to remove the VSS from the tailhousing and set the multimeter up to read off of it while you spin it by hand or with a drill. If it still reads zero then it
Thanks. At This moment it appears that it was bad from when it was brand new. But I will check it in a minute. Do you have any tips on how to get the sensor back in. The first time I tried it to put it back in the drive gear on the tail shaft moved and I had to pull the trans to fix it.

I'd test right at the trans harness first. Closer to the sensor will help rule out field wiring issue first. If it were to fail there, then I would test the sensor itself. You can also buy a lead online, unplug the sensor, and connect wired to this and run it up.

You can find these pigtails sometimes at parts stores for cheaper

The speedo gear should not normally move just from inserting the VSS. The clip should hold it firmly in place.

I'd test right at the trans harness first. Closer to the sensor will help rule out field wiring issue first. If it were to fail there, then I would test the sensor itself. You can also buy a lead online, unplug the sensor, and connect wired to this and run it up.

You can find these pigtails sometimes at parts stores for cheaper

The speedo gear should not normally move just from inserting the VSS. The clip should hold it firmly in place.
Speedometer is mechanical. The VSS has no function there.

SInce that first test signals a failed VSS, I would back-up that test by probing a different location. I would test in the transmission harness that comes in from under the car. The harness runs under the driver's seat, and over to the driver's kick panel. Inside, you'll find a gray 8-pin connector that should have the same wire colors in it. You can test at this location.

If it fails there, I would pull the VSS off completely and test it like steve said.
is that trans harness under the drivers seat?

It runs under the seat but the plug is in the lock panel.

I got the color wrong. Black 8-pin connector. I found a pic of mine. Black connector coming up from the carpet

this plug is the last plug before you are at the sensor connection itself

5A963339-07AA-4B12-816C-5B12056B09D5.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
I had a spare VSS so I tried this out. Plugged in a harness end and set my DMM to 20v ac. I was able to spin up to 10 volts

Attachments

• F8915854-9FC4-4FE5-8D11-F5E58E56AB89.jpeg
    F8915854-9FC4-4FE5-8D11-F5E58E56AB89.jpeg
    551.1 KB · Views: 46
Reactions: 1 user
I’ve got power back to the crimp on the wire pulled out of the connector that goes to the amp now. So it seems I just need to find a way to keep the crimps from pulling out of the connector. I’ll try to get that fixed and I’ll update if this fixes the cruise.