Custom 1969 Mustang (pics) - What Cam Should I Use?

tdmach1

Dec 2, 2003
I wont bore you guys with a long story, so im keeping it the shortest I can.
In 1995 my dad bought me a 1969 Mustang Grande. My plan was to paint it with some money I had back then but the engine broke a couple of month of driving it. A friend of my brother fixed the 302 V8 engine.
What I remember from back then:
  • 302 Block was bore .40
  • He put a 1969 or 1970 Mach1 351w Cylinder heads
  • Edelbrock Torker II Intake
  • Holley 650 double pumper
  • Forged pistons (I think 9.5 compression)
  • He ported the exhaust of the heads and made bigger some oil holes in the engine block.
  • Comp Cams Roller rockers 1.6
  • Duration 280, Lift 512 Magnum Competition Cam (almost sure this is correct)
  • Hydraulic Flat Tappet Lifters
This engine was only used for a small 15 minutes trip and was removed from the car. 17 years later we are finishing the car and start up the engine. It works great BUT the cam its too aggressive for what we are looking for right know.

What I recently added:
  • Shorty Headers
  • Aluminum Radiator with electric fan
  • C4 Saturday Night Special Converter (which is too low for the cam)
  • Flowmaster American Thunder 2.5" dual exhaust
  • Steeroids Rack
  • 13" Baer Brakes on all 4 corners
  • 9" Rear posi 4.11 (not sure about the ratio)
  • Fiberglass Hood
  • Classic Auto Air A/C Kit
  • Wheels 17 x 8 Front, 17 x 9.5 Back
Question:
What Competition Cam (or other) you guys recommend?????
You can see the motor in idle here:

1969MustangGrand.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

First off, I love the color (amost painted mine a similar blue) and the big brakes look really sweet, those are on my list to get eventually, but my car stops now and thats good enough, not like we have a track anywhere NEAR me to even get to use them on anyway. About the cam...with the specs you gave for the engine, I cant imagine that cam being too aggressive. It may have a little too much lift, and you can probably fix that with some 1.6 rockers instead of 1.7's. Ditch that single plane intake if you are going to enjoy it on the street...i had a torker II on my camaro and it was great at the track, but on the street it left my bottom end (cruising RPM's) a little sluggish. I would try to verify that camshaft somehow and the rockers are an easy swap if you want to just try it and can find some cheap somewhere, but I'm sure you will get lots of other good advice off of this thread.

Reactions: 1 user
Robzz thanks for the advice and the compliments.:nice: I have read a lot about the Torker II intake, most of it bad, Im replacing it for sure in the future, but right now im focusing in finishing the car.

i agree change the rockers to 1.6 the 280 h has a fairly rough idle 270 may be a little smoother and change the itnake to a 2 plane version ,single plane version is more for strip use. i have always liked comp cams i like the 280h and i am running
the 292 h in my 351 w ,4.11 gears is realy low for an automatic you must be turning high rpm on the freeway

If money is not a big issue, you may consider keeping the cam and upgraing the heads to something like a set of Patriot 180's. Get the use of the lift and duration of that camshaft to pull some air through that motor. I would imagine that, along with a port matched Performer RPM intake (or equivalent) would give you another 40-50 hp.
Another note, I finally got to see the video, are you certain, without a doubt you don't have a miss? Check your plugs, wires, etc...make sure one of them isn't swapped around backwards. Make sure you don't have a vaccum leak and also make sure you timing is set....all that is free.

If you need to change heads and cam I suggest the Edelbrock 321/347 package. I have it on my 68 302 block with 289 guts with a performer intake and Edelbrock 500 cfm. My performance is amazing and perfect for street use, not too aggressive. It's always better to go with a matched system whenever possible. Edelbrock knows what they are doing and matched these parts to work together for optimal performance.

In order to make the most out of any cam, you will need to have the particulars on both the torque converter and the gears in the rear. Obviously different cams have different power bands, and your rear end gears have a LOT to do with that. You have several options here, like changing the gears in the rear, or maybe looking at an overdrive transmission. With an OD trans, you can keep the gears and the cam, and yet still enjoy freeway driving, the best of both worlds.
I think once you nail down exactly what you already have, you will be able to make better choices on what to do.

In order to make the most out of any cam, you will need to have the particulars on both the torque converter and the gears in the rear. Obviously different cams have different power bands, and your rear end gears have a LOT to do with that. You have several options here, like changing the gears in the rear, or maybe looking at an overdrive transmission. With an OD trans, you can keep the gears and the cam, and yet still enjoy freeway driving, the best of both worlds.
I think once you nail down exactly what you already have, you will be able to make better choices on what to do.

Thank you for your response. An AOD transmission is sure in my future plans. But im going to do what you said. I will finish the car with the current set up and drive it a little and plan for the appropriate changes.

I saw your photobucket pics, those cougars are great looking cars. Would like to see them painted.

Thanks! My 69 is in for paint as we speak..Cars are a very expensive hobby....I'm even thinking about selling one or two of my projects. Well, my 71FB is for sale, and then maybe selling my 68 also....I don't really want to, but it may be the thing to do...

Thanks! My 69 is in for paint as we speak..Cars are a very expensive hobby....I'm even thinking about selling one or two of my projects. Well, my 71FB is for sale, and then maybe selling my 68 also....I don't really want to, but it may be the thing to do...

Definitely true. This is an expensive hobby for people with money or crazy people like me. If I knew back then what I was getting into, I doubtfully would have start it. But like I say to my friends, Im in a point that is like being in the middle of a lake and the only thing to be done is swim to shore. I also have a 1970 Mach1 that needs TLC, Im waiting to finish my current project and see what im going to do with it. Probably I will sell it, not sure right now.

I think having to many projects at the same time, dilute your efforts, time and money. So you are right by selling some of the cars and focusing on only one. Its better driving one today, than 2 cars in 5+ years. :)

Let me know when your car is painted. Will like to see it.

Guy has it in the shop, still prepping. I will be glad to post pictures, I've been working on my 69 for the last, oh, 20 years or so...I have to build the motor when I get home, swap in the T5...Lots to do ath the end of this trip!