Custom cam prices

CarMichael Angelo

my rearend will smell so minty fresh,
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
Got no idea. I just got a quote for a custom cam ( a really, custom cam) from my guy in Australia, but I don't know what real premium I'm paying to have him do this. What does a SBF custom grind cost now a days?

• Sponsors (?)

It's simple supply and demand Mike! I'm looking at 400-450 for a regrind on a flat tapper I6:bang:last I checked this only had 12 lobes but that is the price.

Yeah,...I know. I was looking at it because the cam that's in it, ( despite it being a solid roller) only makes power to about 5500.
I dug out the specs, and sure enough...it's only designed to do that. I was thinking I wanted to spin the engine more. But as with everything I do, as I write out a thought,..the answer pops up right in front of me...
F the camshaft...just add more boost!

But seriously Mike, what about Isky? Can they set you up?
I called a few American cam grinders back in 2014 before I committed to the Australian as being a better deal. Crane was the only one that quoted me, and they wanted 1000.00 and that was just building the cam in its stock configuration.

At present, the thing just pegs the rev limiter (6250) if I mat the gas from a standstill. Adding more boost will only add to that. So,..the light bulb just popped off in my head.

I'm gonna drop the gear. ( again)

Back when I had my knees done, I had a 3.31 gear set waiting on me to install that I had bought from Summit. That gear set got sent back in favor of some other purchase, cause by that time I was in full " I'm gonna convert it back to naturally aspirated ITB's" mode, and decided that I was gonna need the 3.73 gear that was in it to offset the lack of power.

After that path proved to be partially the wrong choice, ( I'm really glad I converted it to ITB) the turbo came back.

Now that this turbo makes boost so quickly, the gear needs to go, so, if I make it back from Mississippi,....that'll be the next thing I do...3.31's will be ordered today.

3.31's instead of a different cam, plus about 5 psi....I'm thinkin.

Reactions: 2 users
I recently changed to a smaller blower pulley. In my dumb luck I'm no longer looking to get additional psi, but the reliable 10psi that I do get, now is there 600rpm sooner.