Cutting Stock Front Coils

JD1964

there is enough sticking out to grab on to
15 Year Member
Jun 28, 2013
Maryland
Looks like the stock front coil springs are not coiled flat on one end. That means I can cut some of the coil off to make the stock springs ride lower. How much do I cut off to get a 1" drop from stock height? One full coil? More or less than one full coil? I want slightly lower than stock but still retain somewhat stock ride attitude. I know a cut coil will be stiffer but you get the point. My current 1.5" drops are a bit low considering I'm running stock rear springs. The aftermarket front drops are also a tad stiff.

I want to keep the stock rears since I'm running 285 40 17. Lowering the rear will cause fender lip rubbing. Im not rolling the lips so dont suggest.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Cutting progressive springs doesn't work well. If you want a cheap way to drop your car, buy Steeda X2 balljoints, and don't use the spring spacers. In cars these old, the ball joints are pretty much due for replacement anyways. Kill two birds with one stone.

Kurt

Reactions: 1 user
You technically could cut the tangential end of the front coil spring (the end that sits in the A-arm), but since it's a progressive rate spring, that does change the rate. Cutting springs stiffens them, how much depends on how much you cut off and the original rate of the spring. Depending on the effectiveness of your struts, this may or may not produce desirable results. It's really hit or miss.

Hard to say how much to cut to lower it x" really depends on the spring rate, and weight of vehicle. I wouldn't cut much though. 1/8 to 1/4 of a turn or so.

But I would advice against cutting the springs in general. Max motorsports sells H&R sport springs for the front only for $125/pair (or $250 for all 4). They advertise a 1.25" drop up front and only slightly stiffer than stock

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/HR-Mustang-Sport-Springs-1979-2004-Hardtop-P746.aspx

I know, I know, you're not supposed to cut progressive springs, but I did it anyway on my old 4 banger. I measured about 3" on each coil and cut them with an electric cut off wheel. I should have done a before and after measurement, but this dropped it down perfect in my opinion. It gave me a lot better stance than the stock height and the ride quality was still good. I would have cut the rears too, but I ended up selling the car. I say go for it if you want to save a few bucks and see how it looks. Worst case, you end buying a new set of springs if you cut too much or don't like the ride quality. Keep in mind, this was on a four cylinder. So it will vary because of additional weight in the front of a V8 car. Cut a little bit at a time and see how it looks. You'll be a pro at installing springs when you're done, lol.

Stock Height (off road ready):
6EQux4e7PvkyNGg0wvAjYaCEKl4o_UnCi8v_DOrJNaFNconaeqIyGJk8C3Fp2Jhpu52dOL0umCd8i76q3G=w1202-h901-no.jpg

Cutting 3" off each coil:
u6qLwwToSoUGEeAZiRTVsIqat-cfv112p-3HccpTFIPKgnRLahtRdOxbS-QTi645heYjN5oB1qSuIJyGeP=w1202-h901-no.jpg

zZs14CWNb1jPfeBjK5ArjhF_SmfMD7ClzQPU0OaC8NNe9O6VvetkKrAciKOVvM7V2sBlZ5a6e4KakOiLTT=w1202-h901-no.jpg

After alignment:
6_61tcbHHX2K3QWJcUcoHOvurzdndQ2xF-f3whS3uAP2ns1gpAR-g50TaFuf1gfgsdRYeCC_4TGnb9chU_=w1202-h901-no.jpg

JGBt8RjanJzqibLacWyhXtzs_YO985si0ch-6P2n7MyRxjkyBjYVHZw13OFsup6iAb5Oes26H38ruPhvmZ=w1279-h752-no.jpg

Thanks for the info. I'll not cut stock fronts, for now anyway. How much do the isolators add to ride height? My current SR Performance (advertised 1.5" drop) do not have isolators on them. And, the stock rears still have the stock isolators.

What if I add poly isolators to the front SR springs and remove the stock isolators from the rear? That would raise the front a tad and drop the rear a tad. Might be just right then.

I'd say maybe 1/4" or more. It's a bit misleading because at first you might see 1/2" with a new isolator, and then as it settles it drops a bit.

Poly isolators might even add a bit more.

4 banger springs are totally different from V8 springs. I remember in 90s when we used to put 4 banger springs in the front of our cars to get better weight transfer.

You can remove your isolators, but wrap the spring ends in electrical tape to keep them from gouging the metal.

Kurt