Dam I Love "90 5.0 But It Needs Some Attention.

Darin Ling

Aug 9, 2016
Especially in the front end. The steering wheel has a lot of play i think to much. And suspension doesn't feel right. And last but not least I would love for her to stop when I need her to stop.
I guess what I am looking for is some advice on what & where I can find parts? I live in the Seattle area.
Thanks for the input
Darin

Attachments

• IMG_20160801_205446706.jpg
    IMG_20160801_205446706.jpg
    358.6 KB · Views: 178
  • Sponsors (?)

How attached are you to your current wheels? Your best and most inexpensive way to get her to slow down like a modern vehicle is going to be with an SN95 brake swap, but it's going to require you to upgrade to five lug wheels. Can't speak for what's wrong with your sloppy front end. Could be anything from worn front end components (which would be replaced with the swap), to a worn out rack, to something as simple as needing an alignment.

Do a search on "SN95 brake swap". And you'll find all the information you will ever need.

Reactions: 1 user
Welcome to Stangnet btw.

I'll move your thread over to the '79-'95 general talk subforum where us fox geeks can load you down with suggestions. We like doing that.

Post more pictures of your mustang also, we love pictures.

Do the 5 lug swap. They also make a 5 lug version of your current wheels in 17" and 18" sizes. @Gearbanger 101 post must've got jumbled along the way but I think he meant to say your steering issues could be from a worn out rag joint, old worn out steering rack, or tie rods. As far as your suspension goes you'll need to be more specific with the problems you're experiencing but if it's just a poor ride then I'd have to say that you have a 26 year old car and you may need to replace your old worn out bushing in your front control arms, rear upper and lower control arms, new struts up front, new shocks out back, and new quad shocks out back too.

Good luck and welcome to Stangnet.

@Gearbanger 101 post must've got jumbled along the way but I think he meant to say your steering issues could be from a worn out rag joint, old worn out steering rack, or tie rods.

Yup, gotta love autocorrect. Type one thing, hit done and if it's got the slightest spelling error, or doesn't recognize the word, it translates it into a whole other language.

It appears that I'm a day late, and a dollar short on this conversation!

However, @Darin Ling we do always strive to offer the best prices possible on aftermarket, and restoration Fox Body Mustang parts!
We have everything you need to get your Fox to where you want it to be man, AND we offer you guys a forum discount code.

Just shoot me a PM when you're ready, and we'll get you taken care of!

In the meantime, here's the link to the website!
https://lmr.com/1979-93-Mustang

Reactions: 1 user
I guess before we can recommend what parts to put on, need to know what is making the steering and suspension feel not right? Worn rag joint? bad balljoints? bad steering rack?

Will need to pull the wheels off and take a peek under there.

How much slack are in the tie rod joints and universal & flex joint steering shaft couplers?

The universal and flex joint steering shaft couplers can be inspected with the car parked on the ground. With the engine off, have a helper rock the steering wheel back and forth while you inspect the universal and flex joint steering shaft couplers for excessive slack. You'll need a sharp eye and a strong light to do a good job.

Support the car on jackstands with the jackstands placed as close to the wheel as possible. With the steering locked, have a helper try to move each front wheel just like it would move if you turned the steering wheel. While they are rocking the wheels, you are under the car watching for slack in the tie rods.