Dammit....i just got owned by a guy on ebay

OrangeMustangGt

Founding Member
Mar 7, 2002
Cape Cod, MA
Oh whell, i had won an auction for a supercharger, and intake, etc for 2,000.
Whell, i paid him today, and he said that he allready sold it....sucks, but now im trying to get my money back.....does anyone know anything about paypal? i guess the money is in "uncleared"...and it wont let me cancel it. how can i get my money back?

• Sponsors (?)

If the transaction is processing then it's his unless he's nice enough to send it back. The same thing happened to me when I purchased a cell phone. The guy was nice enough to send the money back to me. At this point he could take the money and run. However you can file a claim against him through paypal. Since they have his bank or credit card info they may be able to charge it back. If he cashes out and closes the account your done.

If it's an ebay auction through paypal, they almost always have buyer protection...if he can't prove he shipped the product, you'll eventually get your money back (takes time for them to investigate and such). I just hope for your sake you did everything officially and included all auction numbers and such in the paypal payments.

Super302, although that is a great idea and I do the same myself, if one feels the need to purchase on Ebay, I'd rather go through paypal than money order, cash, or credit because you have a chance to get your money back. With the other 3 options your out of luck most every time.

Paypal only covers up to $200, I went through a similar thing, although I was lucky my item was only $254, not $2,000. Have fun with filing a case with Paypal, they drag there feet forever it seems like. It took over a month for me to get my money, and then I only got $175 because they will charger you $25 service fee. If you can, contact Paypal immediately, because if you catch this guy early enough they will put a hold on his account so he can't transfer out the money, and you will then get it back in full. Act now!

whell i talked to him, he has been emailing me, and seems pretty honest. He has GREAT feedback......he just dosent know how to refund the money, i hope he figures it out quick tho. Right now, its in the "pending" stage, so he dosent actually have it for like 3-4 days, But paypal told me that HE has to issue a refund and it will immeditally come back.....Plus i ordered a new pully for the s/c, good thing the seller was nice enough to refund me the $50. Now i just gotta get this damn 2,250 back

GreenMustangGt said:
whell it turns out the guy called ebay and had them refund the payment....whoohoo...

glad to here that. If you paid by E check though paypal I was going to suggest pulling the money out of your bank account and making it bounce so it wouldn't clear. Since you and him were on the same page I can't see anyone pressing the issue. But it would probably go back to your back up funding source :shrug: