Damn Headlight switch AGAIN!!!

95Vert383AOD

15 Year Member
Jun 10, 2008
New Bedford, MA
I swear the headlight switch must me the most unreliable part of the mustang. I replaced it last spring with a unit made by standard. Its worked flawlessly for almost a year...then suddenly its doing what the old one did except WORSE this time. Does anyone make one of these switches that i don't have to keep replacing?

Any aftermarket for performance headlight switches?:shrug:

Thanks guys,

Chris

BTW before anyone asks...i have checked the wires....not really burnt. Tossing a new switch in always fixes the prob. immediately.

• Sponsors (?)

Well i have a HID conversion. But with their own regulators and i would think it would be easier on the switch. My HID only uses the factory headlight plug as a signal wire.

Symptoms are Pull switch half way and nothing.....Pull all the way and i have headlights. Wiggle and push in and out and ill hit a sweet spot where the headlights and parking/dash lights work.

I honestly disagree. It sounds like the moving parts in the switch just wore out. It doesn't sounds like that acutally electrical parts broke. I just think you got a poor quality switch. They aren't that expesnive at least.

Kurt

when my switch went out i looked at the connector and noticed it was melted real bad in the middle. i had already purchased the sw., so it was replaced anyway along with the pigtail. after seeing the connector, i'm pretty sure my sw was fine.

Headlight switches are no more than copper contacts rubbing into one another carrying the circuit load. Their just manual relays in a sense. They have the same issues, carbon buildup on contact wipers with excessive load currents. What I would do is instead of switching on whatever your powering up now, I would use the headlight switch to power a relay and use the relay contacts to carry this excessive current. That switch obviously can not handle. You will not have anymore issues just switching a relay on and off. You have gone through way to many switches for there not to be an issue with your wiring or the current your trying to carrying through the switch.

BTW Motorcraft just contracts someone to make a switch for them. Its probably Wells, or Standard. Just about guarantee you their made in a 3rd world country.

when my switch went out i looked at the connector and noticed it was melted real bad in the middle. i had already purchased the sw., so it was replaced anyway along with the pigtail. after seeing the connector, i'm pretty sure my sw was fine.

Mine was like that too. I was able to reuse the pigtail fortunately.

Kurt