Darn Interested Buys....running rich?

Well Im kind of trying to sell my 98 gt 5spd and this guy that was interested came to look at it.... he was fairly picky and asked all these wierd questions. He wanted to hear it start up, so i started it and then he walked to the rear of the car and started sniffing like a rabit... hmmm smells really rich... so i replied and said well i do have an o/r prochamber so it could be because of that. So since then i cant stop thinking about this problem that i might have with the car and i would like to fix it. i install the prochamber with the supplied gasket(i know, idiot from what i hear):bang: and im using the stock studs on the pass. side and also the stock oxy sensors... no eliminators.

What should i do?! it does sould like theres a leak but im not sure.

Help is greatly appreciated! Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

What would running rich have to do with a leak? If you've got an exhaust leak at that passenger side gasket you'll hear a tat-tat-tat-tat from the inside of the car as you accelerate. its especially noticeable around 2k rpms while cruising (the infamous drone-zone if you've got flows.) There's only one way to eliminate that exhaust smell and thats getting some cats on there. If you still have the stock h-pipe I'd either throw it back on or include it in the sale as a selling point.

Anything with no cats is gonna smell kinda like its rich..But if you dont have no mills are anything i dont see how your not trowing a CEL..My car smells like how the old cars used to smell..But love it when i have it timing up and running 93 octane!!

If your not throwing a CEL then there is no problem at all about it running rich.

The smell is definately coming from the prochamber with no cats and tell the guy that is how it smells. Ask him if he has ever looked at a car with an O/R mid pipe before because that is what cats do catch the unburned fuel.

So I do not think you have a problem at all and do not have any worries. Unless of course there is a CEL on?

Cantslowdown said:
Anything with no cats is gonna smell kinda like its rich..But if you dont have no mills are anything i dont see how your not trowing a CEL..My car smells like how the old cars used to smell..But love it when i have it timing up and running 93 octane!!
Exactly with a o/r prochamber you will get that unburnt fuel smell
from time to time it is normal but, that doesn't mean you are
running rich.

as said by others on here, anything with a off road midpipe is going to smell rich.. thats just the unburnt fuel the cats usually scrub out.. there is no way he can smell the difference between it running normal or rich.

so this guy is just either a idiot or he is tring to get you to lower the price.

the best way to fix the exhaust leak is if you can put the car on a lift with it running and then you can hear/feel where it's leaking from.

Depending on where the exhaust leak is, it can cause a rich condition. If it is right off the manifold, then there will be an unmetered air leak... this extra oxygen can be picked up by the O2 sensors, which will compensate by adding extra fuel to resolve what is believed to be a lean condition. It all depends on how bad the leak is though. You should have never used the supplied MAC gasket; if you want to do it right, pull off the passenger side leg and put in a ford gasket, then retorque to spec.