Dead Again

78ttop

Apr 4, 2017
Brief history, car was in and out of storage for 20 years rarely driven. It currently has 126k. I purchased it and after about 5 miles it died like it was starving for gas or had an electrical problem. I did a major tuneup which comprised of new coil, ignition module, sensor in the distributor, plugs, plug wires etc. Also replaced the fuel filter which seemed to be pretty clean. I drove the car 22 miles after all that and it seemed fine. Added a couple of more trips to the grocery and then last night after 5 miles it died. I pulled to the side, let it sit for 30 seconds and it fired back up and got me home but it wouldn't take full throttle. Drove it today for 7 miles and everything was fine. It has a full tank of marine fuel. My fuel gauge is inop so I'm looking for suggestions. I now think it's fuel related. Can I put an inline fuel pump in and would it flow through the mechanical one? I know I need to replace the sending unit apparatus but would that cause intermittent clogging of the fuel delivery? I hate to keep throwing money at problems but I realize it's an old vehicle. Just looking for suggestions.

Attachments

• 100_1509.JPG
    100_1509.JPG
    750.6 KB · Views: 152
  • Sponsors (?)

Do you have 5-7 psi of fuel pressure coming from the fuel pump? I'm assuming it is mechanical? If your car surges you could be having low fuel pressure from the pump to the carb thus killing the engine under acceleration.

Well I don't yet have a way to measure it but again today it died after about 7 miles. I was within a quarter mile from home and on the downward slope of a hill. I shut the car off and coasted down the hill, popped the clutch in 3rd and it got me back home. I'm leaning toward fuel delivery, maybe the fuel pump or the pickup in the tank. I think that the fuel pump wouldn't die for 30 seconds and come back to life because it's mechanical with a diaphragm (I think,). right? It's just weird that it'll drive for 30 miles just fine then drive for seven and die..I can't really see what happened because it just starts back up and runs fine. It's the same symptoms as it had before I replaced the pretty much all the ignition system.... :(

Vapor lock, a clogged fuel filter, a failing fuel pump, crap in the tank, a collapsing rubber fuel hose somewhere in the system are the most likely explanations.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey thanks for the reply... It's not the fuel filter because I've changed it twice but neither were clogged. Would a fuel pump stop and then re-start almost immediately? Crap in the tank, yes, definite possibility. Collapsing rubber hose, yes again. Since I'm going to replace the fuel sending unit, where is it? How does it come out? Where would the culprit hoses be hiding? I drove it today and died after seven miles. I coasted to a safe place and it started up and got me home. Before the shut off It did start to miss at about 6 miles and wouldn't respond to full throttle which tells it's fuel related since I have now replaced most of the electrical stuff. Thanks for the help!!!!!

It does sound like it is fuel related...it could be the carburetor has dirt in it..or again it could be a ton of crap in the gas tank, as was the problem with my II. Those gas tanks just seem to rust out from the inside. I would drop the tank, there are 2 straps holding it on each side. put a jack under the tank and hold it up as you take the straps off. Make sure to remove the filler neck, 4 "star" bolts by the fill cap and just pull out. Also remove the rubber hose(s) and electrical fuel level plug in. (just pull off). Lower the tank and turn the sending unit retainers to remove the sending unit. (use a hammer and a screwdriver or chizzle to move it counter clockwise and pull the sending unit out. If it is all clogged, chances are the tank is shot. Blow out the main fuel line with compressed air from the fuel pump all the way back, to remove any crap in there.

I have a feeling that's the route. It sat for many years so I know there's going to be the usual issues but it's funny that after I replaced all the electrical stuff it ran for 22 miles. But it's also not so coincidental that it fell down after the same amount of miles that it had done before. Do they still make new gas tanks for these?

Yes they do make tanks for these. I just bought one probably about 3 months ago, it was fairly expensive, but since it is a slightly rare car, I can see why. It is about $200 for the tank and around $50 for the sending unit (give or take a few $$). I would not order the parts until you've concluded that it is a clogged sending unit and a crappy tank.

I have a feeling that's the route. It sat for many years so I know there's going to be the usual issues but it's funny that after I replaced all the electrical stuff it ran for 22 miles. But it's also not so coincidental that it fell down after the same amount of miles that it had done before. Do they still make new gas tanks for these?
Rock Auto carries Mustang II tanks and sending units still.

Just an update on this old post.. I removed the fuel tank and it was full of rust. The old sending unit was rusted as well. Ordered all the new stuff from Rock Auto, tank, straps and sending unit. I don't know how it ran at all with all the rust in the tank. All is well for now. Thanks for all the help!!