Dead battery?

Ok, the car AND battery both sat for about a year. Now onto the problem:

When I charge the battery, the volts go up, all the electronics work, including the subwoofer. When I try to start the car, everything shuts off, and the car won't do anything when the key is in the on position. the car will still chime in accessory on, but when I turn the key it immediately goes dead again. All the grounds are tight, but the negative cable (Battery) isn't in the stock position. A broken off bolt is where the stock ground is (Timing chain cover), so I hooked it up to a Timing chain cover bolt on the front of the block, but NOT a water pump bolt. Is my battery just totally dead, making the car die every time? The starter won't even turn over.

• Sponsors (?)

the battery may have enough available amps to run the minor stuff but not enough juice to crank the starter. I would also run a terminal cleaner through the connectors and posts sometimes they glaze over. most likely hissin50 will be right, the acid has settled in the battery and cells are junk, it wont hold a charge and a bad battery will harm your alternator.

battery tendors are your friend :D .