Deadly street racing accident last night in Detroit.

• Sponsors (?)

Some people... Its like the self preservation side of their brain becomes overpowered with the excitment. I've seen reasonably "safe" street racing, and I've seen really stupid street racing, and you have to question the people who let it get out of hand. Its the same kind of people who say "I'm a good driver when I'm drunk." IGNORANT.

But I think its handled poorly on both sides. Look at how the people involved are so afraid of the authorities that they don't even stick around to help people who are dying. :nonono:

Exactly. They pulled their friend out because the car was on fire...and leave the others. Those two will get caught. They checked him into the hospital and hospitals ask questions and have cameras...they'll get theirs.

I just heard that the drive of the Mustang died. If he didn't, he'd be spending the next 25+ years in jail, so I don't know what's worse.

Only time I feel safe "racing" is from a stop light on a highway or major road and no one is in front of me. I get people trying to race me on a highway when I'm doing 60 in the slow lane in traffic...idiots.

I wish the Mustang driver haden't died... Number one his family doesnt deserve to live with that, and number two he didnt actually suffer for his actions other than being in pain in the hospital.

It boggles the mind why people would do things around populated areas, if at all. Unreal!

Usually they race on this abandoned road where nobody goes and they block it off. But Dequindre is a road that is traveled by many motorists, putting everyone in danger. It was a bad part of Dequindre in Detroit, but it was 7pm...people are still traveling on that road. The other road I mentioned...racing happens there from midnight till whenever...4-5am. Most guys on my local forums post vids and pics at 5:30-6:00am when they get home.

Me....I can't even close a bar til 2am without getting tired, let along staying up til 4-5am street racing.....I get tired...I'm old.

Was that even a mustang? I see nothing that indicated that. i was looking for a side scoop or something near that back wheel and nothing. maybe its an S197 with the faint side scoop they do have all crinkled up. The wheels look rather odd, though.

Either way I hope he survives and has the book thrown at him. Stupid stupid stupid.

This just goes to show that the city council needs to be more involved to have more tracks to race at. I dont know about detroit, but down here in SOCAL, whre street racing was virtually nvented, there are no tracks.

Streetracers are a problem, but city leaders who dont care about trying to help them are a BIGGER problem.

Was that even a mustang? I see nothing that indicated that. i was looking for a side scoop or something near that back wheel and nothing. maybe its an S197 with the faint side scoop they do have all crinkled up. The wheels look rather odd, though.

Either way I hope he survives and has the book thrown at him. Stupid stupid stupid.

it was a fox body that was involved in the wreck with another car, the other car was the one driven by the elderly woman. the fox driver is dead as well

yeah i used to go there and watch the races about 20 years ago and the roads were fairly empty and there would be big crowds.i thought they stopped doing this apparently not but i agree this was totally unneccessary just take it to the track.

UPDATE: The driver IS dead. He was racing a Corvetee and obviously, the Corvette guys took off. Police are currently looking for him. They have some camera footage from a building nearby and that's all they are working with. They need to throw the book at the two guys that pulled their friend from the car. They need to say "Look, we know you know who the Corvette guy is and where he's at!!!"