Dealership May Have Put 6 Qts In My 92 Lx 5.0

BiminiBlue92LX5Ohhh

Active User
Jan 27, 2018
Hey, guys...

My dipstick is reading higher than normal after a Ford dealership oil change.

Now with so many screwy new cars out there, and their bizarre foreign requirements, dealerships can actually MISS stuff like the TWO BUNG HOLES in my 1992 LX 5.0 oil pan that is separated by a tie rod (which I caught for them this time)... and which would have left a large part of one dirty quart still in the engine...

... as well as them putting in 5W30 instead of my usual 10w30...

... and thus giving me the fits with the low oil pressure reading at warm idle...

But on page one of the receipt, they state that 5 quarts was used, and yet, in comments on the second page, he's typed in 6 quarts were used...

Will that mess up the car? The oil stick is not as it usually is...

The oil stick, far from reading up to the usual FULL fill line of the ADD cross hatched area, it now reads fully up to the F, way up the stick, and even trails a snot trail of oil beyond that... after sitting for several long hours.

Car is still running great, although at a much lower oil pressure that I would like... I am wondering if too much oil can cause these fluctuations in pressure, as well...

Any advice?

Thanks again!

• Sponsors (?)

The Service Manual states that the Dipstick can read as high as the "F" and be considered normal. I hate letting anyone else mess with my vehicles as you never know what the heck they are doing.

Reactions: 6 users
The Service Manual states that the Dipstick can read as high as the "F" and be considered normal. I hate letting anyone else mess with my vehicles as you never know what the heck they are doing.
I read that, as well, but in my experience of doing it myself, I seem to recall that it never went higher than the full side of the cross hatched grill... with 5 and a new filter... If I recall correctly...

It may be that 5w30 version of my beloved MOBIL 1 oil they insisted on putting in it... which may be hard to get a reading on...

There was another thread on here recently where someone pointed out that a technician looked at the newer "5.0" oil requirements when servicing a Fox. They ended up with the wrong weight oil and too much. At this point you can take it back and request it be redone, redo it yourself, or just live with it. While it's not designed for 6 quarts, it probably Won't hurt anything for one oil cycle. The weight difference would be a little more concerning, but probably not the end of the world.

Joe

Reactions: 1 users
When I got my 90, the first thing I did was an oil change and 8 quarts drained out. Fortunately I started with the front drain plug because my 6 qt drain pan wouldn't have liked the 7 qts that would have come out of the rear plug. I have no idea what the weight of the oil was, but I replaced it with Mobil 1 10W30.

Reactions: 1 user
I run 5W-30 in mine. Shouldn't really matter. If concerned about overfill, pull the filter, drain, reinstall, and then run motor. let drain 30 mins and recheck.

5W-30 is recommended for areas that see below 32F in the manual. 10W-30 is 32*F+

Reactions: 1 users
What's wrong with 5w-30? Most people don't even know what the first number even means. If you don't live/drive in freezing temps then it matters NOT. As far as 6 qts goes, if you're so concerned then drain it and put 5 qts back in. Most Ford 5.0 dipsticks don't read accurately anyway. I put 4 qts in and scratched a line on the dip, then added the fifth quart and scratched that line too. Now my dipstick will read correctly with 5 qts.

Reactions: 5 users
Straight out of the owners manual. Pick your driving conditions and decide

IMG_5975.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks, all! I contacted the dealer and he said that only five quarts were used and billed (five empty quarts of MOBIL 1 Synth 5W30), even though the notes on page TWO of the bill read that 6 quarts were used... they are saying it was a TYPO.

The oil gauge here shows it at WARM IDLE, which is just about as low as it ever got... so if you guys would be cool with your 92 LX 5.0 dropping down like that at warm idle, and don't think anything is out of line, then I am ready to ride.

But I want 10w30 next time!

I usually do all this myself, and the 10W30 HANGS OUT BETWEEN THE R-M area at warm idle... and it has since the break in period of 12,000 miles... at which time I quit using regular oil and started using MOBIL ONE Synth.

But as I am at my folks house in Daytona and not at my garage in Virginia... I have had to rely upon others... I thought I was very clever to follow the oil guy back to the oil pit and instruct him on the fact of the TWO DRAIN PLUGS (which he did not think about, and once he had thought about it, almost forgot, anyway... ahem).

Maybe it will work out okay, now... I am just not used to seeing the oil that high on the dipstick, If memory serves, I recall it being down near that cross hatch in the full side, and nowhere near the FULL word... but maybe my memory is not as good as it once was...

... this car was down for awhile with a computer issue... and I did not drive it for a long while...

OIL GAUGE.jpg DIPSTICK.jpg

5w-30 and 10w-30 both have the same viscosity when warm. It's their cold flow that's different which is what makes 5w more ideal for cold climates.

Once up to temp they should flow the same

Reactions: 2 users
Many Foxbody dipsticks were wrong from the factory. On both my 92 and 93 the full mark on the stick was in the wrong place. After an oil change with 5qts I remarked the sticks about 1/2 inch higher up from the factory full mark. So they may have used only 5 qts but your stick has been wrong all along.

You have the same dip stick as I do, same part number and looks like mine also, I did the mark 5 quarts on the stick thing and mine is about 3/8" above the hash nark, yours is WAY past that, again I say take that back to the dealer, it's your car and your money. Go back and demand they put in what you want, like others have said, you could leave it alone and be ok too.
Just my opinion.

Just a note. When I worked at Ford we would only charge for 5 quarts but would fill up past that for whatever was needed. Meaning, they could have filled 6 and billed you 5.

Learn how to change the oil and filter yourself with 5 quarts of the lube of your choice and mark the dipstick like the others have said. Then repeat the process every 3,000 miles.