Did a clutch install and now my engine vibrates around 2000 rpm.

FastGT94

Nov 20, 2003
NW Burbs, IL
Well I've determined that I should never work on a car again... lol

I blew out my clutch a while ago and have since replaced it with a spec II unit. I also got the flywheel resurfaced and replaced the pilot bearing.

Now, when I go to drive my car I noticed a pretty good sized vibration at 2000 RPM. This even happens when I'm sitting still so I'm thinking that it is clutch or flywheel related. I'm really really REALLY tired of taking the trans out (this will be #3 in 3 weeks) so I'm trying to figure out what could have gone wrong here.

The car has a bad vibration at the 1800-2200 rpm range whether coasting, sitting still, or in gear and moving. Once out of this range its running smooth. I didn't touch anything on the engine (mechanically) to cause it to run poorly.

Originally I thought this vibration was a problem with the rear end because it seemed like it was only when rolling. I replaced the crush sleeve and this fixed SOME of the vibration but now I have this other one when sitting still at ~2000 RPM.

During the clutch install, I tied some rope around the crank pulley to the k-member to be sure the engine didn't fall on me, but there wasn't really any tension on it. (no more than a fan belt would have on it) So I believe this isn't an issue.

Only things I can think of are:
-Flywheel on in wrong position (counter weight off)
-Clutch pressure plate on wrong

I thought I had marked the flywheel the way I took it off but maybe I didn't. Otherwise, the pressure plate is new so it shouldn't have mattered which way it was on.

If I did put the flywheel on incorrecly, how can I tell where the counterweight should be positioned when bolted up to the crank?

Either way I look at it, it seems that I'm going to have to drop the trans again, but I'm going to wait until I get some feedback.

I'm in desperate need of help here. Sorry this is so lengthy

Thanks,

• Sponsors (?)

Well the flywheel can only bolt-on one way...the 6 bolt holes are set where the flywheel can only mate up to all holes evenly...

I really doubt you put the flywheel on backwards...I think you would have noticed...

So it makes this vibration while in neutral and in gear?

Good Luck with Dale...I hate when things like this happen (I have had them happen)...it puts a lot of stress on me...and I already have the "bad" part of Type A personality (stress)... :(

FastGT94 said:
It can only bolt on one way? I didn't realize that lol.

Any idea if the flywheel needs to be re-balanced after it has been turned?

Thanks,

Not as long as the shop did it correctly...my shop resurfaced it for $25 bucks and it is good... :nice:

Yep on mine I kept turning the flywheel over till all the bolt holes aligned themselves with the crank threads...

are you sure the harmonic balancer did not go south? you lost me with the rope on the crank stuff, but if you supported the motor by the balancer, that could have caused some issues.

good luck Dale.

The balancer is only like a year or two old. But maybe it moved when supporting the engine with that rope... Otherwise, yes, there are dowels in the flywheel.

The clutch should be uniformly balanced right? So there's no real wrong way to put it on either?

FastGT94 said:
The balancer is only like a year or two old. But maybe it moved when supporting the engine with that rope... Otherwise, yes, there are dowels in the flywheel.

The clutch should be uniformly balanced right? So there's no real wrong way to put it on either?

Yeah the clutch assembly should be uniformly balanced...I don't think that even is a consideration to your problem...chances of that being off is very slim...

I really doubt it is your balancer to...you didn't mess with it or put any real stress on it...and when a balancer goes bad (depending on situation) it usually smoothes out as you rev it up or the exact opposite and yours is happening at a direct time (rpm)...

Hmm...well the clutch disc is supposed to face a certain way (flywheel side)...some are labeled and some aren't...did you make it face the correct way?

Yup, it faces the proper way. I'm begining to think that the engine was still in its learning phase (disconnected the battery) and I wasn't used to it since I haven't really driven it in about 3 months :(

But my driveline vibration is still there (when rolling) so I'm going to pay the $50 to get my driveshaft re-balanced since I forgot to mark the parts when I did U-Joints :doh:

Thanks for all your help and suggestions. I'll get back to ya once I get the driveshaft taken care of.

FastGT94 said:
Yup, it faces the proper way. I'm begining to think that the engine was still in its learning phase (disconnected the battery) and I wasn't used to it since I haven't really driven it in about 3 months :(

But my driveline vibration is still there (when rolling) so I'm going to pay the $50 to get my driveshaft re-balanced since I forgot to mark the parts when I did U-Joints :doh:

Thanks for all your help and suggestions. I'll get back to ya once I get the driveshaft taken care of.

I wouldn't pay any money to get it rebalanced...just undo your driveshaft and turn it 1/4 at a time and bolt it back down and drive it and see if the problem leaves...it is bound to be one of those 1/4 turns...and then (if the driveshaft was the problem) park the car and torque it down real good so they don't come loose...

I know I didn't mark anything on my driveshaft when I removed it last year and just stuck it back on and I didn't have any problems...but I may have put it on right the first time :shrug:

But I took apart the U-Joints which adds a new twist to the "Try all the four ways it can be bolted up" idea. If the Yoke is on the opposite direction than it was originally and the other end is on the right way, then the driveshaft will never balance out since the parts are off from eachother.

If I hadn't touched the U-Joints, then yes, I'd agree with your idea but I'm banking on this being the problem. We'll see. Its worth the $50 to check.

FastGT94 said:
But I took apart the U-Joints which adds a new twist to the "Try all the four ways it can be bolted up" idea. If the Yoke is on the opposite direction than it was originally and the other end is on the right way, then the driveshaft will never balance out since the parts are off from eachother.

If I hadn't touched the U-Joints, then yes, I'd agree with your idea but I'm banking on this being the problem. We'll see. Its worth the $50 to check.

Oh okay...yeah have the $50 dollars ready to go...but remember if your getting the vibe in neutral it won't be driveshaft/ujoint related...

If your getting your vibration in neutral, then there is no way the vib is drivshaft related. There are few things I would try. First take it apart and make sure that you tightened the pressure plate bolts to about 20 ft/lbs. If that is ok chek to make sure your flywheel is bolted to 90 -95 ft/lbs. Also you should have used thread sealer and locker on those bolts. If that is ok it only leaves three things.

First would be the flywheel is out of balance, very possible since you had it turned. On a side note I always replace since they are $90-$100 to replace and turning can be as much as $50. Next did you put a pilot bearing back in? If you didn't or it broke when you put it in it can make those vibrations (trust me on that one). Finally the pressure plate could be out of balance, but I doubt that.

I would check all the bolts first, then inspect all the new parts you put in. Remeber just because it is new doesn't mean it is any good. Also check out that harmonic balancer. I doubt there is a problem there but it is a variable since you used it to support the motor,(next time put a 4x4 under the oil pan with a floor jack under it to support the motor.)

Good luck,

Mario

I've seen them break. Some people use retard strenght when they put them in and crush them. I have also seen the hole in the crank being to large for the pilot bearing, thus cause the bearing to not sit properly, causing it to self distruct. Doesn't sound like you have any of those problems. And since you torqued and used loctite on the bolts, I would suspect the flywheel or harmonic balancer, if you are sure you installed everything properly.

Sorry,

Mario

When installing my pilot bearing we put some grease where the pilot bearing sits and tapped it around in a circular manner until it was in on the way...

I still really doubt it is your balancer...but it very well could be... :shrug:

Did a "good" shop resurface your flywheel...

to add to the sentiments that if the car produces no vibes while in neutral, it is not DS related:
said like that, incorrect. if it happens while stationary, yes.
when one is rolling in neutral the DS is still spinning (wheels spin axles, which turns the ring and pinion, which spins the DS).