Did I get a good deal on a 1986 GT

LilBerx

Jan 11, 2012
Logan, UT
Last week I had the chance to pick up a 1986 GT, with the front end converted. I picked it up for cheap because it wasn't running great. The battery and alternator on it were bad so I had to take an alternator to put on so I could test drive it. It ran like a champ. Later that night I layed into it hard 1st through 3rd, and blew the PCV grommet out. While I was sticking that back in, I noticed that the lower intake gaskets were bad. So the next day I got new ones to put on, but the upper intake one was wrong.... Thats when I found out I had a GT40 intake. Got them all back together on Monday, took it for a little test drive and was having temp issues. Took it back all looked good, so I knew it was a thermostat. Today I threw a 180* thermostat on it, and it is running like a champ!

Here is a list of stuff that is done to the car.

Front end conversion

Rear tailights to match the front it

Saleen spoiler

Cervini cowl induction hood 2 1/2 inch

B&M Short throw shifter

BBK cold air intake

Gt40 Intake

Smog pump delete

Flowmasters

Clutch quadrant kit

The good on the car...

Interior is in EXCELLENT condition!! all that it is missing is the passenger side door arm rest and the dash is a little cracked, but i have a dash mat on it

Body is straight, no dings or dents

The bad on the car...

2nd gear synchronization is going out.

needs some paint

I am overall impressed with it, I love having the 5 speed over the automatic that i had in my vert, its a really smooth ride and has some definite potential... The first thing i will be doing is getting the synchro fixed, and different gears. Then i need to convert to MAF so i can throw some decent heads on it. I am pretty sure i am going to do a 3:73 ratio

Its an 1986 Ford Mustang GT Hatchback with 83xxx ORIGINAL miles

ponyf.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• Sponsors (?)

0DF6B425.jpg

26883257.jpg

5499AEB7.jpg

129ACE25.jpg

68F43802.jpg

9507CE28.jpg

The original owner changed the front clip, the 1/4 rear windows and the interior to like 1992 stuff. I'd reverse all that back to 1986 parts if I owned it. 1986 Hood, front clip, 1/4 window sills, seats, everything. The 1986 original cars are very sought after.

Put the right nose back on it.

^This^

Seriously, and who the hell swaps noses on an 83k original mile 4 eye? :nonono:

^This^

The original owner changed the front clip, the 1/4 rear windows and the interior to like 1992 stuff. I'd reverse all that back to 1986 parts if I owned it. 1986 Hood, front clip, 1/4 window sills, seats, everything. The 1986 original cars are very sought after.

^and This^

...and don't get carried away with MAF or heads until you've swapped out the pistons. The only aftermarket heads that are really viable with the OEM 86 pistons are the TFS heads. You won't have a need to swap to MAF unless you head to a non SD friendly cam or swap fuel injectors. Even then, there are tuning systems out there that are compatible with SD.

Plan your MAF swap and maybe get the pieces you need but I wouldn't pull the trigger until it becomes necessary.

if 86 mustangs are so sought after i should be buying all these up that sell for 2500-3800 that sit on CL and other sites for 2 years until they go away.

Just like people other tastes everyone has his own your car looks good, and for the price you got a nice set of gear. Have fun with it

IMHO, I don't see the purpose of the swaps. Other than, the previous owner ?S&B? really wanted a run of the mill 87-93 Stang, but had a 4-eye.

Because of the hood and the stock 10" brakes, *I* would've passed. It'll cost ~$1K+ to get the front end painted. Don't give me any BS about price. I'm getting my car painted again this year - I need another passenger side door because of bottom rust. Plus a few years ago, the "helpful" neighbor's kids did me a favor one day and shoveled the snow off my car (I did appreciate the thought, and the scratches can only be seen when standing next to the car, but the scratches are there and another door is a good reason for a full repaint :)).

I'm also not a fan of the cowl hood. WHY?? It makes it even harder to see over the hood. And, with the flat top '86 pistons, head and cam options are very limited for qtr mile runs.

FWIW, for my engine rebuild, I went with the 87+ dished pistons and mildly ported E7 heads. Yea, I likely lost some low-end and mid-range. But, my Stang still has tons in the low-end and mid-range. And, IMHO, anyone that buys a Stang for gas mileage (the real loss with the 87+ setup and real-life driving) has as much smarts as a bucket of coal. :)

IMHO, any Stang with 10" brakes should either have the brakes upgraded, or be used for parts. IMHO, that's a death trap on wheels. And, again, it's not safe trying to stop a Stang with 10" brakes after a qtr mile run.

If someone wants to do something different to their Stang, that is their right. Just do not expect others to agree or like it.

For the OP, here is what my '86 4-eye looks like:
http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/misc/Mustang1986_with_Mach1_springs/