Did the shop install wrong MAF?

JDubz50

Jul 7, 2011
Minnesota
About two years ago my car was randomly stalling on me (automatic transmission). When I took it into a shop to have it fixed, they told me that the problem was casued from a bad Mass Air Flow meter. I told them that I wanted it replaced with a aftermarket one and they suggested a Pro-M. So, I had them order one and install it and it seemed to fix the problem. Today I was curious to what pro-m meter they installed since on the reciept it only told me pro-m meter. The sticker on the meter gave me this model number:

model: 75mm bullet
part #: 75bp m93

Now when I look this up online, it tells me that this particular model is for 89-93 mustangs. I noticed that on the one they installed they cut a piece of the meter on to get it to fit. This has me worried and since its been over two years I don't think there is much I can do if I call them out on this. So I figured that I would post on here to see what you all thought. Maybe this model works for 95 gt's I just dont know a whole lot about this. I just hope I wasn't cheated. Please Help!

• Sponsors (?)

But when installing a CAI, the MAF needs to have the flange on it to bolt it to the tubes. You can see where they had to cut down the 88-93 model to make it fit in the stock MAF housing. The 94-95 model has the flange and requires no cutting.

The check engine light has always been on since they installed it but I thought that was due to something else. The guy at the shop said the Pro-M told him that it would be fine for him to cut down the plastic meter housing to get it to fit inside the stock box. I also just got off the phone with Pro-M and the guy said that they would have absolutley NEVER told them that and in that he would have never recommended putting in a meter that is not for the years specified. He said that my only option is to get it recalibrated with a new housing ($175) or buy a new one ($210). It just really makes me mad that this shop would do this to me.

Please post a picture.

Sounds like your cold air kit is flanged and they sold you a FOX specific meter so they modded it to fit.

Disconnect the battery for a few minutes. Maybe it will clear the Check Engine light. If not go back to that shop and make them fix it. You should have done this yourself. Installing this is just a few clamps and bolts. There are no moving parts and the connectors plug in only one way. You don't have to be a certified mechanic. Even though your mechanic did mess it up it really goes to show you they aren't a very knowledgeable place. I'd run from that shop.

At the time when I brought it in, (it was actually 4 years ago and not 2 like i posted earlier) I knew very little about engines. I have learned a lot though over those 4 years. Right after I picked the car up from the shop and told my friend how much I paid to have them install it he was suprised and was able to show me how EASY it was to install. I am going to go in there tomorrow and make them order me the right one so I can install it. I will try get some pictures posted soon. I feel like an idiot about this since it was such an easy install. :(

Yup, they will probably deny having cut it at all. They'll probably blame you for cutting it and tell you to get lost. Sad, but true. You have to inspect any and all work right after they call it done. Myself, if I do ever take my car in for anything (usually alignments, tires and A/C work since I don't have the machinery to do it myself) I will stand there and watch them like a hawk! This way if they mess anything up or go to do something I don't approve of I can stop them or call them out on it!