Differences Between A 1997 - 1998 Cobra

95blkstang

Jun 30, 2004
So I'm going back and forth between two Cobra's that are identical in condition,color and mileage. Of course both sellers are selling me the reason to buy theirs. So I figured I get your expertise. Here what I noticed.
1998- Different rims, no clock on dash, no strut tower brace and no holes on strut tower to add. I was told that there mechanical upgrades. Lastly this is the last year of the body style.

• Sponsors (?)

Nothing significant between them. The '98 supposedly had a better tune, the fuel pump is different on the '98. I really liked the rims on my '98 BAB Cobra. Condition and price would be my main criteria followed by color etc. Hell of car, I miss mine but my knees said sell. The only thing I really didn't care for was the IMRC Butterfly that goops up and must be removed and cleaned, the '99 got rid of it.
Good luck and post some pix when you decide!

Bright Atlantic Blue. They redesigned the heads in '99 to eliminate the Intake Manifold Runner Control. It can be eliminated but requires a tune and fixing or replacing the butterfly assembly with a spacer etc.

9CB46A49-0A4A-40F8-ACF5-D359C4BFBF29.jpeg So, I just purchased the 98 and awaiting pick and delivery. Cars were identical, so I went with the 98 being it’s the last year of that body style. The rims and no clock was a odd draw for me also. This will be the first 4.6 ever owned. Never even drove one. Past 22 years always consisted of 5.0s . So looking to keep it stock aside from getting rid all the cats. Any recommendations for a plug in play x-pipe or xpipe. One better then other for this motor.

Reactions: 1 user
9CB46A49-0A4A-40F8-ACF5-D359C4BFBF29.jpeg So, I just purchased the 98 and awaiting pick up and delivery. Cars were identical, so I went with the 98 being it’s the last year of that body style. The rims and no clock was a odd draw for me also. This will be the first 4.6 ever owned. Never even drove one. Past 22 years always consisted of 5.0s . So looking to keep it stock aside from getting rid all the cats. Any recommendations for a plug in play x-pipe or xpipe. One better then other for this motor.

9CB46A49-0A4A-40F8-ACF5-D359C4BFBF29.jpeg So, I just purchased the 98 and awaiting pick up and delivery. Cars were identical, so I went with the 98 being it’s the last year of that body style. The rims and no clock was a odd draw for me also. This will be the first 4.6 ever owned. Never even drove one. Past 22 years always consisted of 5.0s . So looking to keep it stock aside from getting rid all the cats. Any recommendations for a plug in play x-pipe or xpipe. One better then other for this motor.

Check out you tube for a lot of different sound clips, I believe the Cobra's is unique to the GT.