Different kind of Cat Back question

Pootiestang

That's MISTER boy to you!
Founding Member
Dec 25, 2000
Sav, Ga
Hey guys, I have a question but its not like one I could find in the search. I have single flow chambers on my car and love them, but im looking to find bigger pipes for the cat back. Maybe even considering buying an already bent and made cat back with some quiet mufflers, but for now i just want to find a place when I can order pipes alone, and then weld my mufflers onto them. My friend and I welded my mufflers into my stock cat back, and did a very bad job on it. Can anyone point me toward where I could find just catback pipes? Also how about tail pipes with baffles? With all these long drives I would like a quiet car but I still want to rumble for the city, but I haven't been able to find tail pipes with removable baffles. How big at the stock tail pipes? Sorry for all the questions, thanks in advance!

• Sponsors (?)

Venom4.6 said:
Bassani's Quiet Thunder catback system has removable baffles. It's a little heavy on the bank though.

Well for now I am just looking to tips to throw on my exhaust with baffles, but maybe for Xmas a catback system that i can put my single chambers on. Basically where can i buy pipes already bent to go on my car with nothing on them

Thanks thats exactly what im looking for. Has anyone ever ordered from this company before? Also how about the muffleless cat backs? I would hate to have to cut out the old mufflers to put my single chambers in their place, not to mention it would cost more.

Venom4.6 said:
The piping is 2 1/4" and the tips are 3" on 99+ Stangs. Go by the tip size.

Its the piping on any of the cat back any bigger then the stock piping? Im still trying to find a place that can sell me pre bent pipes to which i can add mufflers and tips.

Why do you want bigger pipes on your catback? The reason I ask is unless you upgrade your H-pipe, which is 2.25", it is pointless. Also if you are looking to quiet things down, consider a different muffler. The single chamber flows are one of loudest mufflers out there. They drone like mad. Baffles will not help the drone. If you want a quiet yet rumbling Mustang go with the 3 chamber Flows. I had these on my GT at one time and liked them.

Venom4.6 said:
Why do you want bigger pipes on your catback? The reason I ask is unless you upgrade your H-pipe, which is 2.25", it is pointless. Also if you are looking to quiet things down, consider a different muffler. The single chamber flows are one of loudest mufflers out there. They drone like mad. Baffles will not help the drone. If you want a quiet yet rumbling Mustang go with the 3 chamber Flows. I had these on my GT at one time and liked them.

I would think the baffles really help quiet that car down, and maybe lower the noise level of the drone. Its the drone that gets to me after 2 plus hours every weekend. I would be willing to get some 2 chambers but Im not sure id i would be happy with them vs my single chambers.

ps. Thanks for the site, thats what i was looking for.

Venom4.6 said:

Does it mean that my 01 GT with borla cat-back and stock H is no more good than stock set-up?
And adding a MAC prochamber, will it be much louder than my actual Borla witch is IMO ok

silversnake03 said:
2 chambers would prolly be perfect for what you've got. I bet your car is loud as hell with the 1 chambers, I'd love to hear it sometime.

Its pretty dang loud but so far ive gotten lots of comps on it, and plenty of complaints from my girlfriend's neighbors in Atl. :nice:

Does it mean that my 01 GT with borla cat-back and stock H is no more good than stock set-up?
And adding a MAC prochamber, will it be much louder than my actual Borla witch is IMO ok

No not at all. I was just saying by staying with the same muffler and upsizing the catback piping really won't net any gains. Upgrading the stock mufflers will net some gains but nothing drastic. Choose a muffler for sound in my opinion. The restriction is in the midpipe and manifolds. Most aftermarket midpipes are 2.5". Don't forget a little back pressure is good for low end torque.

I had a Prochamber at one time. It is definately louder than stock. Screams at WOT. Great pipe. Good mid to upper power increase.

Actually there is a little power to be gained by going to larger mandrel bent pipes on the catback.....

As far as needing some back pressure, it really does depend on the tune...

what motors do need even more though is heat and velocity for the exhaust to work correctly....

That is actually a bigger problem for the mod motors then backpressure.....

Some motors are actually tuned to need back pressure, the mod motors seem to be tuned to hate it, which is one reason that they like forced induction so much....\

The more a mod motor breathes, the better...

however if you go too large, such as 3" then you start loosing velocity in the exhaust system which means the cylinders have to work harder to push the air out...

You also loose heat in the exhaust system, which has an effect on performance as well....as with the 3" pipes you would allow the exhaust to cool too much before it reaches the ends of the pipes...

It is true that the 2.25 pipes would give you better bottom end, but on a dyno, that bottom end happens to be before 2900-3000RPM...and the power gains after 3000RPM far out wiegh the gains before....

I guess the phrase I am looking for is total power under the curve is slightly more with the 2.5....

So while the peak numbers might not be that much more, it will give you a little bit more flat power curve, which is important in all kinds of racing.....

GNN60GT500 said:
Actually there is a little power to be gained by going to larger mandrel bent pipes on the catback.....

As far as needing some back pressure, it really does depend on the tune...

what motors do need even more though is heat and velocity for the exhaust to work correctly....

That is actually a bigger problem for the mod motors then backpressure.....

Some motors are actually tuned to need back pressure, the mod motors seem to be tuned to hate it, which is one reason that they like forced induction so much....\

The more a mod motor breathes, the better...

however if you go too large, such as 3" then you start loosing velocity in the exhaust system which means the cylinders have to work harder to push the air out...

You also loose heat in the exhaust system, which has an effect on performance as well....as with the 3" pipes you would allow the exhaust to cool too much before it reaches the ends of the pipes...

It is true that the 2.25 pipes would give you better bottom end, but on a dyno, that bottom end happens to be before 2900-3000RPM...and the power gains after 3000RPM far out wiegh the gains before....

I guess the phrase I am looking for is total power under the curve is slightly more with the 2.5....

So while the peak numbers might not be that much more, it will give you a little bit more flat power curve, which is important in all kinds of racing.....

Well, this is some technical explanation. So if i understand correctly, 2.5 pipes will give me more low end torque and hp, but not that much and the difference is less important as i reach higher rpm. correct?

Actually the 2.25 gives you a little more punch below 2900- 3000RPM, where the 2.5 gives you more power after that.....

As far as how much power after that,

A stock 00 GT will give you

13-14rwhp with Magnaflow catback
about 8rwhp with just mufflers welded in....

The 2.25give you more power before 3000, but I dont know too many people that let the RPMs get that low when they race