Difficulty in changing rear-end gears?

praugue

Sep 18, 2007
I'd ultimately like to have a 2-speed rear-end, but ...

How difficult, or expensive to have it done, is this job? I like the stock 3.27:1 in the 92GT, but it sure would be nice to "drop in" a 2.73:1 for longer trips and general cruising.

In fact, I'd like to have 3.73:1 for snappy response around town and the 2.73 for cruising.

Is it difficult to DIY or expensive to have it done?

Thanks.

Here's the intended victim.

1992 GT

• Sponsors (?)

It can cost you anywhere from $250 to $400 to have the gears changed. And that's if you provide the parts.

Rear gears do not just "drop in" to an 8.8 rear end. It's a pretty detailed process, and one not easily accomplished by a novice.

The 3.27s are a good compromise gear. You might only gain 1 or 2 mpg on the highway by going to 2.73s. If you want something more "snappy", you could go to 3.55s. You would only lose about 1 highway mpg from what you are getting now, and some folks actually see better city mpg with the higher gear ratios.

Good info. Thanks.

I wouldn't mind trying the 3.31's, but it looks like I'll just have to leave the LX (2.73) for cruising and the GT for around town.

A 2.73/3.73 two-speed rear-end would be the killer product I'd want.

i've seen one two speed rear end on horsepower tv, it was in an early 60's pontiac "heavy duty" drag car, that with the power glide made it a 4 speed. you could get a two speed xfer case btwn the trans an drive shaft, put you'd have to put some 410's in the back an use the xfer case on the highway. that dude on trucks put one in "copperhead".