DIS (Distributorless Ignition System) questions

Anlushac11

Founding Member
Feb 17, 2001
Indianapolis, Indiana
Greetings. I was wondering if anyone here has had much experience playing around with the DIS on the '91-'93 2.3L Mustangs.

I think one of mine are going bad.

So here's my questions.

1) Can I just pull the '91 Dual plug head and drop a complete 87 turbo coupe 2.3L head on and run just one coil pack and keep my DIS system?

1a) Has anyone attempted to drop a turbo 2.3L head onto a stock 91-93 DIS block, turbo and all? (cast pistons aside).

2) Has anybody transferred the DIS system and swapped it onto a 87-88 turbo coupe 2.3L?

• Sponsors (?)

are you not getting spark from one of your coil packs or is the ignition module itself faulty? I would check all the harness connections and apply new di-electric grease and see if it helps.
the ignition module is notorious for going bad. sometimes they go without warning and other times they take forever. a bouncing tach is a dead ringer.
I just replaced the ignition module on mine and now it runs better than the day I bought it.

The car runs OK but makes little power and doesnt want to rev over 4000rpm when cold.

As soon as it warms up it wont rev over 3000rpm.

Have checked converter, fuel pump, new filter, etc. and no difference. Added a new air filter and it seems to run better while cold.

pull the codes. it doesnt sound like your DIS.

have you checked your plugs. pull them to see if the gap is correct or if they need to be replaced.
how old are your plug wires? they may also need to be replaced.

a few other things to look at are cleaning the IAC and check the timing. if the belt is old and worn it may have jumped a couple of teeth. another possibiliy is a bad catalytic converter choking up the works.

hopefully new plugs/wires will fix your issue though

I heard that, a garage is a requirement for my next house.

it's monsoon season here and I havent been able to work on my car in about 2 weeks