Distant Future Kenne Bell Plans

brtnstrns

Dec 19, 2003
Lewisville, TX
Now that I've acquired a beater (very low mileage 95 toyota camry), I've decided to change my 99 GT from my daily driver to my (driveable) project car. The engine is completely stock and currently has about 123k miles on it and will continue to have miles added to it. I'd like to save up and eventually strap a Kenne Bell on and attempt to make horsepower in the mid to high 400s at the wheels. I know the internals need some work before making over 400 HP and that it might not even be a good idea to put a supercharger on an engine with miles that high (and even more-so if this is 1 1/2 to 2 years away).

So exactly what steps should I take in preparing for this plan? Lower mileage block? Rebuild of current block? Exactly what internals would I need to upgrade? I would say I'm pretty mechanically inclined as I do all the work on my cars and am an engineer, but honestly have never taken an engine block down to the bare bones.

Please don't let this get into a cost debate (buying a cobra blah blah). I own this car flat out and am considering it a restoration project.

Thanks in advance for the advice. I know there are various pieces of info on this subject on the forums but haven't seen much in high mileage motors and specifics for forged internals and what not.

• Sponsors (?)

For high 400s you're going to want forged rods and pistons and perhaps 12-14 psi.

I'd use your current block. Bore it 0.020" (will help unshroud the valves a tad) and get some 18cc forged slugs (e.g. Manley MAN-594220C-8), rings (e.g. Manley MAN-46620-8) and H-beams (e.g. Manley 14042-8). Get a Cobra oil pump and pickup to round out a stout shortblock.

Stock heads and cams will be fine. Cometic gaskets, ARP studs for the mains and heads.

I too actually had kind of the same questions. My car is a babied 03 GT convertible with 60000. It's just not fast enough for me and no offense to the owners but I'm no fan of the '10+ cars I don't like the body lines. I was looking at the 2.1L kenne belle kit and it says produces 400hp and shouldn't need new internals......any take on their claims....does anyone run that setup?

Been running the 2.1 with 8lbs of boost for 2 years and about 7,000 miles (When I do drive it I am not all to nice) without an issue. Calculating drive train loss I am right at about 400 fly wheel HP. When it comes to a power adder the tune is everything. When it comes to a twin screw some tuners have become more conservitive and are now running less timing. My tuner runs less then most because of Californias crappy 91. I wouldn't drive the car on KB's tune anywhere but to the dyno to at least have it checked out before you get on it.

If you go with their stock 2.1 kit, you will get anywhere from 380 and up with their tune....a good dyno tune will get you near that 400 mark. The KB tune is ok.....very conservative. You won't need new internals at the 400 mark. There are probably more people than I can count that are running a 2.1 on their stock engine. I didnt put my KB on until the 90k mark. I would have been fine if it wasnt for a screw up.

I made some good numbers with my KB, but, end the end, I went a different route.

I been running a kb 2.1 intercooled with my 02 gt conv. The car has 85000 miles on it know and everthing is bone stock other than a kn drop in. It even has the stock exhaust. I been running the kb tune for about a year with the 3 1/4 " pulley and usually gets 9 to 10 psi, even more in this frigid new england weather which worries me at times. You'll love the instant power when you so much as look at the gas pedal.

So I do have a question to the other KB owners out there, is the intercooled version worth the extra $1000??? I havent really read about it entirely yet, but I would love a little insight....

Yes. You can't run more then about 7lbs of boost without one because the IAT's will be through the roof. The other things you want to consider is that if you don't get the intercooled kit then 1 it will cost you more to upgrade later 2 when you upgrade later then you are pretty much doing the install of the blower twice.

The shop that installed my kenne bell had three customers prior to me. Each one of them went non-intercooled then wasn't happy had there blowers removed an intercooler installed. You will be able to cook eggs on top of it in the summer. :flame: