Do you put silicone on the balancer/crank bolt?

GRGT1994

Sep 22, 2004
I installed a new balancer. Now I notice plenty more oil dripping out. And I am wondering if I was supposed to put silicone, or RTV on the washer that holds the balancer on. The Haynes manual says nothing about doing this.

I noticed when I took the bolt and washer off, there was a chunk of clear silicone on the washer - still stinky. BTW, the dealer mechanic reinstalled my balancer recently (when I brought the car in to have them pull a broken timing cover bolt - long story - but when they put the timing cover back on, they also reinstalled the balancer and the retaining bolt)

• Sponsors (?)

Correction you are supposed to put RTV on the Key on the crank to avoid this problem. On my stocker I had a small leak seaking from the balancer. When I removed it to upgrade I made sure I put RTV on the Key to elemenate this problem and all gone now. From the factory they come with RTV on the key as well or at least mine did.

wytstang said:
Correction you are supposed to put RTV on the Key on the crank to avoid this problem. On my stocker I had a small leak seaking from the balancer. When I removed it to upgrade I made sure I put RTV on the Key to elemenate this problem and all gone now. From the factory they come with RTV on the key as well or at least mine did.
Correctimundo!

Folks RTV the keyway/key, the underside of the washer and a little on the crank threads (threadlock works for the threads too).

The factory even used RTV on the keyway...if not she'll piss oil pass the woodruff key... :bang: That keyway has access to oil flying around the timing chain...

Rootus...I only did mine cause when I took it apart, it was OEM, I couldn't see the key..W.T.F???....it was buried in RTV...so I re-assy'd it the same way..

Rootus I did not do it on mine either, but should have. Seems to me that theoretically it does not need to be done (there was a huge debate on this on the Corral a couple years back).

The way I see it, it cant hurt. I would do it next time. I just forgot.

Rootus said:
Heh... I guess I'm the only one that not only did not put any RTV anywhere on the balancer bolt/washer/keyway/etc ... and still got no oil leaks :). My car is special :jester:.

Yeah, same here. I guess it's a bandaid for a leaking front main seal :shrug:
Scott

HISSIN50 said:
The front seal goes around the outer hub of the balancer. The keyway is on the inner hub.

You so lost me there.....lol.

The male part of the keyway is actually on the crank, on the outside of the main seal, and it stops once it reaches the seal, right? Or am I losing my mind completely.

Maybe I need to take off my timing cover again and look........ignore this post...lol
Scott

Scott, my bad. I missed the FMS part - I thought you meant the timing cover seal. :cheers:
If you need me, I will have my head in the sand. :D