Does Anybody Know What This Is Or What It Controls

DGooch

Mar 27, 2017
ECM fuse keeps blowing on mm Ford Mustang 3.8 V6.
1490656691315-983323696.jpg
1490656729941-1753664577.jpg
I found a burnt wire in a connector underneath the dash but I have no idea what it controls or what it is can anybody tell from the pictures and help me help

• Sponsors (?)

I give up? What model year Mustang are we dealing with? I have to know the model year before I could even try to look it up.

At the risk of sounding like a jerk, does it really matter? The connector shows obvious signs of water damage (green corrosion). If this were my car, I would start by cleaning all of the connectors in the area. Use electrical contact cleaner to remove all of the corrosion. Dry well. Inspect to see if the connector has been heat damaged. It may be necessary to probe and release some of the worst pins to clean.

Once clean apply a small di-electric grease and try again.

It would be best if you could delete the duplicate posts on the same question.

I give up? What model year Mustang are we dealing with? I have to know the model year before I could even try to look it up.

At the risk of sounding like a jerk, does it really matter? The connector shows obvious signs of water damage (green corrosion). If this were my car, I would start by cleaning all of the connectors in the area. Use electrical contact cleaner to remove all of the corrosion. Dry well. Inspect to see if the connector has been heat damaged. It may be necessary to probe and release some of the worst pins to clean.

Once clean apply a small di-electric grease and try again.

It would be best if you could delete the duplicate posts on the same question.

First off I apologize, I thought I put in the model and year on here but I guess I didn't. It's a 2000 3.8 liter V6. After I reply to this I will delete the second one... My bad! Thank you for letting me know what I should do on this. I've seen a lot of your replies and it looks like you know what you're talking about. Me myself, I know nothing about what I'm doing I'm just trying my best. Let me give you the backstory on it. The car's been sitting for about a year-and-a-half because the clutch went out on it and I couldn't afford to fix it. 3 days ago I got a guy to put a brand new clutch in, it change the spark plugs and spark plug wires. do oil change and flush the radiator system. Install new battery. Replace the serpentine belt. And new fuel pump/ fuel filter. I went picked it up from him and it drove fine, got home clean the windows when to start it to go put gas in it and it wouldn't start. I discovered a fuse number 21 which is the ECM fuse and the cluster fuse was blown try to replace fuse everytime I put a new fuse in there it blew right away. I will do what you suggested but I guess I really want to know if this is going to fix the problem or if I should keep going to find a short? Thank you for your help!

I really want to know if this is going to fix the problem or if I should keep going to find a short? Thank you for your help!
No one out in Internet land could possibly answer your question. But what I can tell you is this is how working on electrical problems often play out. That is you look for something of interest and then you either repair it, or rule it out. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Besides. What if it's not the source of THIS problem. It sure could be the source of the next problem. So it needs to be cleaned.

I can also tell you from experience that if ONE connector is shows signs of water damage, then it's likely there are others. If this were my car, I would inspect every connector in the area that I could easily get to. Plus I would inspect the central junction box fuse panel in the driver's kick panel. Look for any signs of corrosion especially on the back of the CJB.

If the fuse still blows after doing a through visual inspection, then the next method is to disconnect the wiring harness at the ending devices and see if the short goes away. Then work back through the wiring harness paying attention to every connector that the RD/WH power line from fuse F2.21 passes through. Yes. Perhaps a large unit of work.

OBTW, the fact that fuse F2.21 is the fuse that is blowing is a huge clue. It will narrow down which connectors to target.

For a job such as this, a set of Ford wiring diagrams can be a big help. If interested in getting a copy for yourself I maybe able to help. PM if interested.

1999-2004 fuse panel schedule:
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...r-swap-wont-fire-please-help.html#post2669271

Reactions: 1 user