Does anyone know where this wire goes?

• Sponsors (?)

The 88 turbocoupe diagrams I have been using to help. In regards to those you have displayed, I am not using the integrated relay control. It controls the air conditioning, the cooling fans and the fuel pump. Again, I am not sure if there is wiring inside the ECU that depends upon one or more of these signals to allow the ignition to fire? I have to believe that there is a way to not use these and still get the engine to fire. Too many of these engines have been used in race applications and I am sure they don't use everything that is on the diagrams.

The diagrams for the 85 Mustang and Capri are very similar to the factory service diagrams I have but I want to thank you for your effort to help me. The other site, Blind Chicken, may be a source I will look into.

Thank you again.

Have you pulled the distributor and changed the pickup? I was having a similar issue and ultimately had to do this.
As stated in my post, I have replaced the distributor with a rebuilt unit, and have replaced the pip, the ignition control unit and the coil.
I am in the process of testing the PIP and the ICM again but the test process is listed for the Ford V8's except for the 3.8

It is not alive and breathing yet but Frankenstein took a breath and coughed this morning.

I still can’t get it to run yet but I have fire and believe it is just a timing issue now. After using parts of 6 different Ford diagrams and taking select information from most of them, I got the spark I was working to get. It really tries to start but backfires and pops. I had the distributor out so many times that I feel I got the timing off.

The Miata wiring diagrams were so specific, simple and accurate, that engine fired on the first turn when I originally installed that engine in my 29 pickup. Fords diagrams not so. I understand I am building a Frankenstein so it is not like I have a car with all the original wiring, sensors and relays. But I hope to be on the test road soon.

Thanks to all who offered some ideas and direction. It all made me learn every aspect of this engine and it’s systems. Thanks again.

I have to say, that is some Mad Scientist :poo: you have going on there. Like Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde for the contrast between exterior and interior. I have ave a mechanic here that just loves the pictures and keeps going on about his 4wd Falcon

It’s Alive!
It’s Alive!

I changed the rough timing setting after lunch today and it started right up. Still have some timing and tuning to do but I let it run for 45 minutes to check for leaks etc.
It is running real rich so I will check the fuel pressure and some sensors.

Anyone have an idea why Frankenstein is running rich? I did put in a larger fuel pump when going from a 1.6 liter Miata engine to the 2.3 Ford turbo. Or may it be the mass air flow meter asking for too much fuel?