Does Anyone Not Drive Their Mustang During Winter?

Ant85

Jul 14, 2013
Richmond, VA
This isn't my daily driver. The main reason I won't be driving it during winter is because there's no heat. The heater core has been bypassed. I really am not looking forward to doing a heater core because everything so far has given me more issues, so as far as doing anything else to this car I think I'm calling it quits for this year and will start back on it again in the spring lol. Anyways, on to the point of this post.... I do not have a garage, or any place to store the car. It would have to sit in the driveway. I do plan to go out and freeze my nuts off a couple days a week to drive it a few miles just so it's not completely sitting all winter. Anything I should do? I know the coolant is good because I did the water pump not too long ago and put new coolant in. Also, this may be a stupid question but my ebrake doesn't work so I leave it in gear when parked. Will sitting for a long period of time hurt anything in the gear that it's sitting in? Would leaving it in reverse be the best choice? The paint isn't anything car show worthy, but it's decent. I've heard good and bad things about car covers. No rust on the body. I do have some surface rust underneath that I was going to try to get taken care off soon as I can.

• Sponsors (?)

If you're going to drive it a couple days a week, I wouldn't call that parking it for the winter. If you drive it, make sure you fully warm it up before shutting it down. That way it will help get rid of the condensation inside the engine. Otherwise it's better not to start it at all. I usually leave my cars parked in 1st gear, but most manuals tell you to leave it in reverse. Either one works fine. The idea is to leave it in as steep as a gear as possible so the car won't move when parked. First and reverse are normally pretty close in ratio, or steepness. I park both mine all winter, but they stay in the garage. I don't start them, and do put them on a trickle charger.

I'll get mine out on days when it's nice, maybe 5 or 6 time between dec. and March, but mine sit in a garage so the elements arnt on em. Do you have the space/resources for one of those metal car ports or even one of the cheepo plastic ones? At least that way the sun would not be beating on it and the worst of what Mother Nature throws at it would be off it.

IMO, just do the heater core now and get it over with, it's still plenty warm to do it now.
Next year you will tell yourself that you will do it at the end of the year, and you won't, again.

It's really not that bad to do. If you are good, 2 hours or less, if you are bad, 4-6 hours.

Me personally, i wouldn't want to have to worry about doing a heater core for the next 6 months.

While you are at it, fix your e brake, whatever the issue is, it can't be that bad.