does this block heater fit?

• Sponsors (?)

2000fordstanggt:

I have a b/h in my car (not really a necessity in St. Louis but why not?). I don't know if I can find the part number but it fits in one of the freeze plug holes. The electrical cord plugs in and has all the right fittings to plug into available holes in the panels. I am thinking that the "2002-2004" application must be specific for the electrical plug (and attaching hardware) because the heater ought to fit into any 4.6L freeze plug hole.

Pardon the long post. I'll see if I can find the p/n for you.

** edit: F6ZZ-6D008-AA is the one that is in my '98 GT **end of edit

Chris

2000fordstanggt:

I have a b/h in my car (not really a necessity in St. Louis but why not?). I don't know if I can find the part number but it fits in one of the freeze plug holes. The electrical cord plugs in and has all the right fittings to plug into available holes in the panels. I am thinking that the "2002-2004" application must be specific for the electrical plug (and attaching hardware) because the heater ought to fit into any 4.6L freeze plug hole.

Pardon the long post. I'll see if I can find the p/n for you.

** edit: F6ZZ-6D008-AA is the one that is in my '98 GT **end of edit

Chris

thanks, did you have to change anything to make the harness fit? or do you have the correct year heater? and this is prolly a noob question, but, what are freeze plugs?

well, 1999 & 2000 were one part # and 2001 to 2004 another......both of which were discontinued by FoMoCo a few years ago:( ...but since the heating element just replaces a freeze plug, I can't sea where the difference lies:shrug:
so I'd say it should work.....

2000fordstanggt:

I ordered my b/h pretty soon after I bought the car so it is the "right" model for my car. As Randy said, I don't know how much different a block heater can be from model year to model year. Essentially, there is a bar on a bolt that runs through the heater. The bar slips into the block at an angle and then is pulled across the freeze plug opening in the block as the bolt is tightened. It's a little hard to describe but when you're holding a block heater in your hand it will be obvious how the thing is held in place.

Freeze plugs look like tuna cans (but smaller, about 1.5" diameter) that are pressed into the engine block. Because they are thin metal and friction fit in place, they can pop out if the coolant freezes, relieving pressure before the block cracks. You can see them about 4" above the oil pan to block joint and there are three or four on each side of the block.

The electrical wire just plugs into the heating element once the element is installed in block. Be careful routing the wire and zip-tie it to keep it away from the exhaust and belt (anything moving or hot, basically). The wall plug end of it can be stored behind the headlight. Don't let the plug flop around or it will damage the radiator or paint. When you unplug the power, stow the block heater plug in a snug place. I don't use mine much (car is in the garage and I don't drive it much in the cold weather) but it's nice to have to warm up the block during the cool months, lol.

HTH,

Chris