Dome Light Always On

redsn95gt

Aug 5, 2010
My dome light won't ever shut off, no matter if I'm driving or the car is sitting shut off. I have to pull the negative cable off every time i'm done driving to save the battery. I just rebuilt the car so I had everything yanked out at one point. I checked the switch on the door, it seems to be fine. The only thing that is hanging loose at the moment is the small black wire that connects to the ignition switch barrel where the key goes. I've tried holding it to the ignition to ground it, it just makes the door chime work with the car off. (which is annoying as hell anyway, it can stay off if thats not the problem piece)

Any ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

Nope, headlights are off, its just always on. I'm wondering what other stuff could be on too...

I think he means is your headlight switch set to the "dome light on" position. If you rotate your headlight switch left and right, it acts as your dimmer switch for your gauges. If you turn it all the way to the LEFT and it clicks, it will turn on your dome light.

I chased a similar "problem" in my Mom's Mustang when she first got it (back in 1996).