Downshift points

• Sponsors (?)

DageonYar said:
What exactly are the top speed/rpm points for downshifting? Cruising in 5th at 70, will I be ok dumping it into 3rd and pounding it to get some quick pickup?
Take 3rd Gear to about 4,500ish RPM and see XMPH. XMPH is about the speed you should downshift to 3rd at from 5th.

You probably could dump it from 5th to 3rd at 70, but unless you're trying to pass a Ferrari or trying to race a SRT-4 :drool: , you should get plenty good pickup dropping to 4th at that speed. Assuming stock gears.

I was in 3rd gear the other day doing 70. My Rpm's were right at about 4,200. So if you have the stock 3.27's (mine has stock 3.55's) your RPM's would be even lower than that. Probably around 4,000 which would put you in a good range for some get up and go.

With 3.27's, 5th to 3rd would be ok at 70MPH.

Usually 3rd gear takes you all the way to 100MPH. I findmyself trapping near 100MPH right at the end of 3rd gear.

At 60MPH or lower i will drop to 2nd, although it's a quick shift to 3rd. Any higher than that and i gotta leave it in 3rd.

I also notice you do have pretty good pull in 4th at around 75-80MPH and don't NEED to drop to 3rd. I love how the 4.6L makes tons of top end power and with 3.27's you can easily whip around traffic at 80MPH+ by just barely rolling on the throttle.

I usually only drop 1 gear at a time however. Never did a 5-3 drop. I usually drop to 4th first and then bang 3rd WOT.

Schweet... tks guys. I was gonna play and see how far up I could get in 3rd, but usually by the time I think of it, I'm cruising in 5th lol. I don't think I've hit 5k rpm yet... I'm a little paranoid I guess, just cuz this thing roars at 47-4800... Stock limiter is 6200 right? And yeah, stock gears...

yup i agree with some of u, a stock 99+ gt has plenty of pull in 4th at around 70-75mph, i think u can pass anything with ease in that gear at that speed, no need to go to third in my opinion.