drag car look

DokterD

Jul 15, 2006
MD
can anyone help me out here. I want to do a drag race look for a street driver. Most are going with a touring look-I want bigs and littles. It will probably be 15 or16 inch wheels unless there's 17s I like. I want wheels like Weld Prostars. Any suggestions? Do rotors have to be cut? Tire clearance issues?
I do plan on some mods to get mid/low 12s but it will be a driver. I like the JPC 05mustang tires/wheels setup.

• Sponsors (?)

View attachment 256935

View attachment 256936

View attachment 256937

daily driven set up. rain snow etc. highway and city.

front rims are 15x4 jegs stars, with a 7/16th spacer. could of went 3/8's but a little grinding is involved of the caliper. front tires are 165/80/15, kumho power stars, 45 bucks a piece. rated to 118 speed rating. i'm running ET lugs on the front and i recommend them with the jegs wheels. you can use stock lugs if you want though. no harm.

back rims are where it got expensive. i wanted a 15x10. no one makes a cheap 15x10 that will bolt right on. so i went bogarts. 450 a piece for the back wheels. then 209 a piece for 325/50/15 nitto 555r out back.

you can get away with a 15x8 from jegs, that will bolt up. i think 6.5 back spacing. then run a 275/50/15 for 26 inches tall, or a 275/60/15 thats 28 inches tall.

there are more companies out there making bigs and littles for these cars, but alot of them don't recommend street driving, and alot of them are expensive as hell.

it can get pretty exciting with the bigs and littles. drove about 100 miles to the beach yesterday with 3 other people in the car on some pretty crappy roads. we managed. you just gotta be careful.

Nice setup

That's pretty much the look I want. I was looking at Centerlines and it looks like they could have a front. Back, I don't know yet. Is the issue brake clearance and backspacing? Understand I haven't done aftermarket wheels since my 1969 Dart 340. I had a 01 Lightning and 91 LX but never messed with wheels. Now I want to go back to an old school look. I don't like giant rims and rubber band tires. I just don't know what I'm dealing with on this car as far as wheels n tires go. Nice looking GT.
Don

And how did you deal with the TPMS crap?

That's pretty much the look I want. I was looking at Centerlines and it looks like they could have a front. Back, I don't know yet. Is the issue brake clearance and backspacing? Understand I haven't done aftermarket wheels since my 1969 Dart 340. I had a 01 Lightning and 91 LX but never messed with wheels. Now I want to go back to an old school look. I don't like giant rims and rubber band tires. I just don't know what I'm dealing with on this car as far as wheels n tires go. Nice looking GT.
Don

And how did you deal with the TPMS crap?

the fronts i know some brands will have same backspacing and everything, but some brands will fit and some wont. i tried my brothers draglites on same specs as my fronts, and his wouldn't clear my brakes at all with the spacer.

back you can get away with a 15x8 with a 6.5 back spacing, pretty much everyone i've seen use that set up hasn't had a problem. i know the 15x10s i have on mine now the brake is extremely close, but no rubbing or anything.

thanks btw.

i pretty much just dealt with pressing the reset button when i started the car. because i was always turning t/c off anyway when i got in. so just one more button.

but after a while. it would basically cancel it self off, i would start the car, and i could drive to and from work, [15 miles or so], go cruising around for about 10 minutes. on longer trips, it'll come on like a half hour into the trip, just press the reset button.

really i can't see myself using the feature because i see it as a idiot light, pretty much if your a car guy, you would know if your tires are low just by how its driving, or looks. mustang guys don't need a light to tell them their tires are low. :nice:

if you wanted to maintain the tpms though, you can get the bands from i think americanmuscle.com sells them, basically a big clamp, adjustable from like 15-22 or something like that. and you take the sensors out of your old wheels. or you could buy new sensors but those b:tches are expensive.

Here you go....this is a pic of my friends 08 bullitt with drag radials and skinnies:

IMG_8834.jpg

He had these custom made, the rears are 15x10 running a mickey thompson sportsman tire

That is perfect-like the stance-tire sizes-wheels etc. Can I get some info on tires he used-did he lower it-wheels and sizes--better yet just swap with me.:hail2:

Front: 15 X 4 (26 X 6)
Rear: 15 X 10 (28 X 12 X15)

Rims are Centerline Revolution rims
Tires are Mickey Thompson S/R radials

Not sure the tire info is correct, but thats what he told me.

He has eibach sportline springs on stock shock/struts. And even though he claims the rims were custom made, he said in the rear he had to grind the crap out of the calipers.