Dropped an engine hoist on my foot! With pics!

Speeds8erM-1

Founding Member
Sep 6, 2000
Pensacola Florida
I was pulling the motor on this 88 GT Im parting out earlier tonight. I didnt have a long enough chain to reach both engine lift hooks, so I looped the chain through the front hook and the motor came out sideways and VERY crooked but out it came. I tried to roll the hoist with the motor into the garage but the wheels kept fuggin up, bastard wouldnt go straight, so I went around to the other side to pull on the motor a little to see if it would straighten up. Well apparently Im the Hulk because the whole damn motor and hoist FELL OVER. WTF?!?!?!?! I dont see how it was that off balance, anyway the damn motor is on it's side and the engine hoist is like upside down. Hoist and motor are both okay for the most part, alternator was the only casualty.

I decided to undo the hoist and ease it back down to it's wheels, trying to be quiet because this big bastard (if you havent seen this hoist I borrowed, you have no idea haha) is gonna be loud when it hits the ground, it starts coming down wayyy to fast, I try to get up under it and didnt realise where my foot was............

The result

View attachment 410963

View attachment 410965

It split the webs between most of my toes and opened them up pretty good and the bottoms of my middle toes are so swollen they look like they are gonna pop. It hurt pretty damned bad but the pain went away after about 45 minutes of waiting on the floor for somebody to get there heh. The wheel landed right on the three middle toes. My aunt and a friend came by to help me get into the house. I cleaned it up some, put a shoe on and went back out there to the garage with some help lol. Got the motor in the garage and some of the stuff off of the back of it. No little fubar foot gonna keep me down!

Was gonna go to the emergency room but it appears to have gotten my toes more than the foot, so even if they are broke, the hospital wont do anything and I dont have health insurance, sooo fugg it. :bang:

Always remember to watch your feet when working with heavy stuff! I was partially blinded by a 1000 watt halogen light in the garage that was shining out to the carport.

• Sponsors (?)

Dude i bet that hurts like F'in hell.....good thing i wear steel toe boots even when i'm not workin.

Funny, all I could think of while I was on the garage floor yelling F@CK!!!!!!!! was "man I wish I wore steel toed boots" Too bad the oldddd Addidas worn out shoes I use as "work shoes" are verrrrry thin on top.

Was just one of them nights I guess, I knew I should have stayed in bed today. :rolleyes:

I've been doing factory work now for a little over 2 years and i've had to wear steel toes....i'm a boot kind of guy anyways and after wearing them every day for 2 years i almost feel insecure without them. Plus i have Hytest Footrests boots which are probably the most comfortable steel toes on the planet.

Was gonna go to the emergency room but it appears to have gotten my toes more than the foot, so even if they are broke, the hospital wont do anything and I dont have health insurance, sooo fugg it. :bang:

Thats not true, kinda. You could have ligament damage that can't be reversed if not fixed soon. Ask my brother. he has a finger that is stuck sticking up and to the outside after he smashed his fingers badly enough to split the ends. They tried to fix it (and they did get it to bend a very very little) but they said had he shown up when he hurt it, not a week later when he realized there was something really wrong, they could have fixed it 100%.

Sorry it looks like it hurts - badly! Its good that you post things like this though. Its a great reminder to any of us SAFETY FIRST! Again sorry man.

Thats not true, kinda. You could have ligament damage that can't be reversed if not fixed soon. Ask my brother. he has a finger that is stuck sticking up and to the outside after he smashed his fingers badly enough to split the ends. They tried to fix it (and they did get it to bend a very very little) but they said had he shown up when he hurt it, not a week later when he realized there was something really wrong, they could have fixed it 100%.

Sorry it looks like it hurts - badly! Its good that you post things like this though. Its a great reminder to any of us SAFETY FIRST! Again sorry man.

This is true and it's hard to tell, I guess I will give it a few days and see whats up though. It's hard to tell if anything is broke when the toes are swollen up so bad they feel like they are gonna explode haha. The middle toe where the toe meets the foot and kind of becomes "one" hurts pretty fuggin bad to the touch, I dunno, we will see. Im hobbling around for now lol.

Lesson is, let the damn hoist fall and who cares if it's loud and wakes up the neighbors or at least pay attention to where the wheel is, I couldnt see for ***** out there though! :owned: