dropping oil pressure when warm bearings? Tps?

Recently my oil pressure drops to nothing unless i keep feathering the throttle at idle....once its warm and i stop i can hear it "bog" down a little and the oil pressure needle quickly drops...i know i should try a mechanical guage but any reccommendations on which one? ive read quite a few posts with the same problem sounds like bearings however i am runnin rich with my idle at 1100 or 1200 fluctuates between 800-1200 since i cant seem to get my tps sensor adjusted properly (no matter what position the tps is in i cant get the voltage reading below 1.2v where to start?

• Sponsors (?)

have you tried a new sender unit? When i had my 302 my car would drop to 0 in oil pressure but only sometimes.I have auto meter pro comp series mechanical gauge in my car and no problems so far. peace

john:p

I have the same problem but i've just ignored it for so long. I'd like to see if anyone answers this. I'm trying to read over 'putting a stop to oil consumption thread but there are a lot of responses

If the oil pressure sending unit is factory is needs to be replaced and I would never drive my car with low readings unless I knew there was a good reason for it.

As far as the oil consumption; I see you have a Cobra intake. Is it a REAL one or a knock off Ford Racing version? I have the knock off and I ended up with the same oil consumption issues and someone told me there was some issue with the baffel on the lower intake being to small. I went to Harbor Freight and bought a small $12.00 3/8 oil/water seperator and intergrated that in the PCV system and have not had an issue with consumption since. I know Steda makes one too but it is expensive.

Let me know if you want a pic

TPS Troubleshooting:

The TPS sensor is a variable resistor like the volume control on most cheap radios. We have all heard them make scratchy noises as you turn them up or down. The carbon element can wear and cause a drop out spot in the output voltage. This confuses the computer because it expects to see a steady TPS voltage increase as the Throttle opens up.

Wire colors & functions:
Orange/white = 5 volt VREF from the computer
Dark Green/lt green = TPS output to computer
Black/white = Signal ground from computer

TPS troubleshooting steps:
1.) Use the Orange/white & Black white wires to verify the TPS has the correct 5 volts source from the computer.
Use the Dark Green/lt green & Black/white wires to set the TPS base voltage. Setting the TPS: you'll need a good Digital Voltmeter (DVM) to do the job. Set the TPS voltage at .5- 1.1 range. Because of the variables involved with the tolerances of both computer and DVM, I would shoot for somewhere between .6 and 1.0 volts. Unless you have a Fluke or other high grade DVM, the second digit past the decimal point on cheap DVM’s is probably fantasy. Since the computer zeros out the TPS voltage every time it powers up, playing with the settings isn't an effective aid to performance or drivability. The main purpose of checking the TPS is to make sure it isn't way out of range and causing problems.
2.) Use an analog voltmeter to check the voltage on the Dark Green/lt green & Black/white wires to make sure that it increases smoothly and doesn’t drop out or increase suddenly.

Some basic checks you can make to be sure that the sensor is getting power & ground:
Note that all resistance tests must be done with power off. Measuring resistance with a circuit powered on will give false readings and possibly damage the meter.
Check the resistance between the black/white wire on the MAP/BARO sensor and then the black/white wire on the EGR and the same wire on the TPS. It should be less than 1 ohm. Next check the resistance between the black/white wire and the negative battery cable. It should be less than 1.5 ohm.

The following power on check requires you to turn the ignition switch to the Run position.
Use a DVM to check for 5 volts on the orange/white wire. If it is missing, look for +5 volts at the orange/white wire on the TPS or EGR sensors. Use the black/white wire for the ground for the DVM.

it's a real cobra intake. I started this problem whe I had a trick flow manifold. I made a make shift sperator between the the throttle body and the valve cover. But never caught any oil. The last time I took off the upper there was oil in it though. Not a lot but it was there. My car makes a noise as of recently. It's a rotating sound but it's very slow and only happens at high speed. Someone told me my bearing were going out. It's a very slow rotating sound. It doesn't speed up but whenever i reach 2500 rpms it becomes loud enough for me to hear. Any thoughts anyone

I have the knock off version of the cobra intake...i would appreciate a picture for sure! I also now replaced the sending unit and it actually made a difference for a couple days (or maybe just seemed to) but went back to the same issue...i have the stock guages and now have no idea what to look for....

I have the knock off version of the cobra intake...i would appreciate a picture for sure! I also now replaced the sending unit and it actually made a difference for a couple days (or maybe just seemed to) but went back to the same issue...i have the stock guages and now have no idea what to look for....

I will pm you a pic tomorrow. How low is the pressure droping to? Mine does not drop at all it just had the oil consumption throught the stock PCV issue which I have solved.