Dumb Question: Heat and Oil Pressure

MustangPaul

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2002
South East Louisiana
Dumb question: Will higher temps--both external and engine--make your oil pressure dip a bit or will the oil pump hold the pressure steady no matter the temp.

Reason that I ask is that my Oil PRessure was down a tad today. It is 98 with heat index of 114 and I was running with the AC on--raising the engine temp a bit.

Just wondering.

--Paul

• Sponsors (?)

MustangPaul said:
Dumb question: Will higher temps--both external and engine--make your oil pressure dip a bit or will the oil pump hold the pressure steady no matter the temp.

Reason that I ask is that my Oil PRessure was down a tad today. It is 98 with heat index of 114 and I was running with the AC on--raising the engine temp a bit.

Just wondering.

--Paul

YEP, hot oil is thinner and makes less pressure.

Below 5psi. The motor was old though.

While a 20w-50 rating is a measure of protection, I don't think it is a measure of flow characteristics. I could be wrong, but over the years I have used thicker and thicker oil, and in the end, 20w-50 with STP added still wasn't enough.

Just driving around town was fine, but on a hot day after driving a few miles on the freeway, I would really have a problem at idle.

Max Power said:
Below 5psi. The motor was old though.

While a 20w-50 rating is a measure of protection, I don't think it is a measure of flow characteristics. I could be wrong, but over the years I have used thicker and thicker oil, and in the end, 20w-50 with STP added still wasn't enough.

Just driving around town was fine, but on a hot day after driving a few miles on the freeway, I would really have a problem at idle.

It's supposed to be a marker for flow. The thicker the oil, the more oil pressure, but with less flow. The thinner the oil, less pressure but more flow. It does work that way, but on a cold day, worth is right, the thin oil is thicker than snot.

Not only does oil get thicker when it gets cold, I believe it gets a lot thinner when hot.

50w oil at 200 degrees will pour a lot faster than 10w oil at zero.

That's why I always thought viscosity ratings measured protection more than flow, although I think flow is a factor.

There are so many wives tales about oil these days, especially concerning synthetics, that I don't know what to believe anymore.

All I know is, the hotter the car got, the less oil pressure I had, even with 50 weight. It was always fine cold though.

I s'pose I could do a Google and bone up on viscosity again, but I am off to California on business. Maybe I'll have time when I get back.

Max Power said:
Not only does oil get thicker when it gets cold, I believe it gets a lot thinner when hot.

50w oil at 200 degrees will pour a lot faster than 10w oil at zero.

That's why I always thought viscosity ratings measured protection more than flow, although I think flow is a factor.

There are so many wives tales about oil these days, especially concerning synthetics, that I don't know what to believe anymore.

All I know is, the hotter the car got, the less oil pressure I had, even with 50 weight. It was always fine cold though.

I s'pose I could do a Google and bone up on viscosity again, but I am off to California on business. Maybe I'll have time when I get back.

The question is................is 50w thicker than 30 when they are hot? Probably so.

Oz, plus it gets PLENTY hot down here.

When did choosing an oil get so damn difficult? What about the "High Mileage" oils?

I get a lot of engine noise when I run 20/50, so I don't run that anymore.

The stuff we run in my wife's Diesel VW is delvac-1. Pure snythetic at $25 a gallon. Of course, it lasts about 10,000 miles. Still . . .

--P