Dust Shields or no Dust shields.

Blueinfan

Mar 18, 2021
Temecula
Hi Mustang Enthusiast,

I have two questions for all you.

1. I've upgraded my 1991 LX 5.0 convertible from 4 lugs to 5 lugs. Now I have purchased some dust shields for it. What are the benefits of installing them and not installing them?

2. The brake tubing that is above the axel and connects the brake line to the rear got bent when I was trying to remove the fitting nut. I've purchased some stainless brake lines from LMR but the problem is that there are several steel plates that I need to remove and sand the rivets off , and rerivit to properly install the new brake line.

So, my question is, can I just cut a certain length off and connect another line to it without having a safety concern. Or bite the bullet and sand the rivets off, and install te new lines?

thanks,

Attachments

• 65981135261__EBA366A9-49C7-4AFD-A61A-589043AF9193.jpg
    65981135261__EBA366A9-49C7-4AFD-A61A-589043AF9193.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 69
  • 65981134139__A79B91B8-428A-4877-8AA6-A8E51EC774E6.jpg
    65981134139__A79B91B8-428A-4877-8AA6-A8E51EC774E6.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 74
  • 65981133046__FB20BAF8-81CB-4FBF-82A1-C6A3152EDFC4.jpg
    65981133046__FB20BAF8-81CB-4FBF-82A1-C6A3152EDFC4.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 71
  • 65981128165__6244833B-418A-4B04-9ACF-3799DC6AE927.jpg
    65981128165__6244833B-418A-4B04-9ACF-3799DC6AE927.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0390.jpg
    IMG_0390.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_9883.jpg
    IMG_9883.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 68
Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

The dust shields help keep dirt and stuff from getting on the rotor. If it isn't a daily driver you don't really need them. I don't know about you but the only way my car sees rain is by mistake.

Reactions: 2 users
Mine had the factory ones till almost 50k miles. The next 350k miles i never put them on. Still new on the shelf...lol. Zero difference.

Reactions: 1 users
The dust shields help keep dirt and stuff from getting on the rotor. If it isn't a daily driver you don't really need them. I don't know about you but the only way my car sees rain is by mistake.
Agree with 90sick. Unless your running a lot of miles, it's your DD or whatever, you dont need them. Mine also is a shop queen and not driven in the rain, unless its unforeseen.

If you have them run them. If you don't, don't sweat it.

If this is a car you plan on putting a lot of miles on, i would probably say to run them

• Agree
If you have them run them. If you don't, don't sweat it.

If this is a car you plan on putting a lot of miles on, i would probably say to run them
just going to be one of those cars that are parked in the garage and don't see the rain. Only comes out on the weekends and is towed to car shows. Not a daily driver right now. Maybe when I coyote swap it might see more miles but a daily car.

so then what's the whole purpose for the dust shields if they are not needed. I bought them because the car came with them. The car will not be a daily driver. Just a weekend and show car. Or maybe drive along the California cost once a month

so then what's the whole purpose for the dust shields if they are not needed. I bought them because the car came with them. The car will not be a daily driver. Just a weekend and show car. Or maybe drive along the California cost once a month

It’s a debatable question really. Keep in mind when Manufacturer sends a car out of its factory, they have no idea what the owner will do to it, so the shields are for various reasons that you may or may not ever experience.

Over the years, I’ve settled on a few possible reasons. These are my opinion and not a de facto answer.

Splash protection from running though deep puddles at speed

Protect various suspension components from heat generated during braking.

Protect the rotor surface from any grease/oil/etc that may inadvertently spray onto it from various suspension and engine components. (Busted CV axle boot for example)

Prevent the corrosive brake dust from settling on suspension components where, after 100k miles, it might pose an issue.

With all that said, I do run them on my car on all 4 wheels. I don’t actually think I need them based on my driving conditions/habits

• Agree
look closely at the 'dust shields'

on the back of them (facing inward and forward) are air deflectors that help draw air into the center of the rotor. As the rotor rotates and the vehicle is moving forwards, it helps move air from the center outward, sort of like the way a turbocharger compressor wheel moves air from the center out. Those deflectors (dust shields) help that air to flow, which helps keep the rotors cool. They are often bent, often broken, missing, or rusted away should you be looking in a junkyard. SN95 dust shields are almost all riveted to the spindle, and getting them off in a junkyard is no fun unless you have a grinder or a drill. Even then, most of the time they're damaged when they put the car down on the ground without any rims or tires on it. I always put them back on if possible.

look closely at the 'dust shields'

on the back of them (facing inward and forward) are air deflectors that help draw air into the center of the rotor. As the rotor rotates and the vehicle is moving forwards, it helps move air from the center outward, sort of like the way a turbocharger compressor wheel moves air from the center out. Those deflectors (dust shields) help that air to flow, which helps keep the rotors cool. They are often bent, often broken, missing, or rusted away should you be looking in a junkyard. SN95 dust shields are almost all riveted to the spindle, and getting them off in a junkyard is no fun unless you have a grinder or a drill. Even then, most of the time they're damaged when they put the car down on the ground without any rims or tires on it. I always put them back on if possible.
Found it!!!

Thank you!