Early 80's 302 Oil

xero0620

Jul 15, 2008
Vacaville Ca.
My 68 Has an early 80's 302 in it and I was wondering what oil I should use? I use synthetic in my other cars but I dont have anything this old so I wasnt sure what I should be putting in there. Im also not sure on the oil amount. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

My 68 Has an early 80's 302 in it and I was wondering what oil I should use? I use synthetic in my other cars but I dont have anything this old so I wasnt sure what I should be putting in there. Im also not sure on the oil amount. Thanks.

Has the only not been changed since the early 80s? Assuming the oil comes out without a problem (25 years is a long time), I would use some good dino oil first. After that, if you want to swap to synthetic, go for it.

No, im not saying it has never been changed. Im saying I just bought it and I want to change it soon just so I know that its been done. I was just looking for a type suggestion, ammount, maybe even if its possible to run synthetic. I have been told that you shouldnt use synthetic in older engines.

No, im not saying it has never been changed. Im saying I just bought it and I want to change it soon just so I know that its been done. I was just looking for a type suggestion, ammount, maybe even if its possible to run synthetic. I have been told that you shouldnt use synthetic in older engines.

Several people on here run synthetic, but you can't go wrong with some 10w30 or 10w40 dino oil. I'd do that and see how it goes.

It sounds like its a used engine, so I would probly stick with the dino oil. If its not a roller, and it sounds like its not, I would either get an ""off-road"" oil, or use an additive with zinc in it. Most new oils have low/no zinc, which helps emissions in new cars, but the zinc helps protect in high load areas, particularly flat tappet cams. Or you could use full synthetic high-mileage oil which has seal conditioners added so that it wont leak, but will likely still lack the zinc.

Does anyone have an oil ammount? 5, 5.5, or 6 qts?
From what I have read, If your engine is not currently leaking and you switch to a high milage synthetic, there shouldnt all of the sudden be leaks. If its leaking already then it will contine to leak.

If you have an early 80s 302 in your car, it's probably a dog and not a good deal of fun. Also, the block is nothing special. The casting walls are thinner than the early blocks and the provisions for roller lifters didn't start until the mid 80s. My opinion is just use any cheap oil in it. If you regularly change the oil and keep the carb working properly, the engine will last virtually forever. However, I wouldn't waste expensive synthetic oil on it. I'm assuming that you don't use it as a daily driver, so the miles don't pile up very fast.

Just use the dipstick to figure out how much oil to add. Once a car has been changed, it's impossible for us over the internet to know what has been done to it. The early 80s vehicle the engine came out of didn't have the correct oil pan for your car, so the oil pan has been changed.

Fill the new filter with oil and add a total of 5 quarts between the filter and the engine. Run the car for a short time and then shut it down. Wait about 10 minutes for the oil to all get back down into the pan and then check the oil level on the dipstick. Add if necessary. That's my advice to you.

Does anyone have an oil ammount? 5, 5.5, or 6 qts?
From what I have read, If your engine is not currently leaking and you switch to a high milage synthetic, there shouldnt all of the sudden be leaks. If its leaking already then it will contine to leak.

1.) The stock oil amount is 5 quarts.

2.) "High mileage" synthetic is pointless. In fact, synthetic of any kind is pointless for the average street engine.

Put a decent petroleum oil in it and don't worry.