Edelbrock Performer RPM 5.0L short block valve clearance

C0V3R

Feb 14, 2003
Australia
Just wondering if anyone could let me know if Perf. RPM heads with 2.02 intake valves are likely to clear the pistons in a Ford Racing 302ci / 5.0L ''Production'' Short Block Engine Assembly (as found at Jegs ) as I can get a set fairly inexpensively. The piston notches look fairly sizeable. I cant test P/V clearance as I havent bought the heads yet.

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

You have to check with every engine...if you don't then you best be keeping your wallet warmed up and ready to go. You need to take into consideration the cam as a factor affecting PVC as well. If I had to make a best guess...I have read on several occasion that the 2.02 valve eddy heads are not compatable with the stock style piston. If someone comes on here and says 'it will be fine'...and you don't check...then your lookin for problems.

from best recollection, the 2.02's won't fit with stock pistons-you can check, but don't hold your breath. Unless you've got a minimum of 0.080" intake clearance, and 0.100" exhaust-don't even try it. as I recall that was TFS's claim to fame with the TW's was being able to stuff a large valve into the heads while still fitting the stock reliefs with larger cams...but that's due to the shallow valve angle.

C0V3R said:
Just wondering if anyone could let me know if Perf. RPM heads with 2.02 intake valves are likely to clear the pistons in a Ford Racing 302ci / 5.0L ''Production'' Short Block Engine Assembly (as found at Jegs ) as I can get a set fairly inexpensively. The piston notches look fairly sizeable. I cant test P/V clearance as I havent bought the heads yet.

Thanks.

they wont fit i have the same shortblock and wound up going with the same heads but the 1.90 valves as the 2.02 hit the piston.