Edelbrock performer rpm heads

Hi all, I just bought used Edelbrock performer rpm aluminum heads. They come with scorpion 1.6 rockers on them. I want to install it on a stock block. I have a few questions, can I reuse the stock push rods and lifters? Should I get the heads milled/ and cleaned? Should I change the valve seals? Also I want to upgrade my cam to something a little more aggressive. Would the heads, rockers, lifters, and rods work with it?

Thanks Stang Fam!

• Sponsors (?)

1st....take them to a machine shop and have them checked and cleaned up. If your lifters were ok than they can be reused. The push rod length will have to be measured...you also should measure for piston to valve clearance.

Hi all, I just bought used Edelbrock performer rpm aluminum heads. They come with scorpion 1.6 rockers on them. I want to install it on a stock block. I have a few questions, can I reuse the stock push rods and lifters? Should I get the heads milled/ and cleaned? Should I change the valve seals? Also I want to upgrade my cam to something a little more aggressive. Would the heads, rockers, lifters, and rods work with it?

Thanks Stang Fam!
The heads probably have pushrod guide plates unless the rockers are sled type fulcrums. If there are pushrod guide plates then you definitely can not reuse them, even if you check the length and find them to be ok. A pushrod guide plate requires a hardened pushrod. Stock pushrods are not hardened.
The process for checking for proper length is detailed all over the place, so I will not go into it here. You will have to buy an adjustable pushrod set to check them, and have to figure out a way to get a solid lifter in place of the hydraulic one that you currently have. ( there may be a whole kit out there to do this with one purchase).

Reactions: 1 users
Ok so I called a couple of machine shops around in order to get my heads minimally milled and cleaned. I told them what my plans were, and I was asked if the car that the heads came from had hydraulic or solid lifters. They also wanted to know what kind of springs I had on the valves, is there any way to tell? What kind of a cam should I go with? Looking for something with a nice lumpy sound but not too much, and that has good low to mid range power. Thanks

As a total noob, I can give you some advice from a somewhat non-technical perspective. I think your best bet may be to look around the internet for top end kits that have the Edlebrock heads you have... once this (built) kit is found get the part numbers for the recomended push rods, lifters and specs on the cam. I know its not the best advice but its all I got!

Reactions: 1 user
Ok so I called a couple of machine shops around in order to get my heads minimally milled and cleaned. I told them what my plans were, and I was asked if the car that the heads came from had hydraulic or solid lifters. They also wanted to know what kind of springs I had on the valves, is there any way to tell? What kind of a cam should I go with? Looking for something with a nice lumpy sound but not too much, and that has good low to mid range power. Thanks
You're gonna have to do some calling. Call edelbrock and ask them questions specific to the springs, i.e. installed height, spring diameter, single/double with or w/o dampener. Open and closed pressure.

Then the machine shop can tell you if the springs are stock, or add-on.

Reactions: 1 user

Thanks Stang Fam!
Hey buddy im doing the same build right now. I installed those heads with a e303 cam ,ford performance rods and lifters and scorpion 1.6 rockers. I would not ever go with ford racing high performance lifters ever again
See photo as i just needed to crack the motor open again and replace a bad brand new lifter. The picture is the new replacement and i will not installl it. Looking down a different ave. Also you could reuse all you stock parts but recommend replacing pushrods with new.

Attachments

• 20190317_171125.jpg
    20190317_171125.jpg
    324 KB · Views: 218
  • 20190425_120439.jpg
    20190425_120439.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 226
Very nice Eddie, thanks for the info. I haven’t pulled the engine out yet, but when I do I will post some pics. This forum is great, and the knowledge that some members have is great! Keep me posted as I will do the same bud! Thanks again

Nice buddy , clean those puppies up and will look nice. I would recommend all fel pro gaskets. Keep us updated. Im having a hard rime setting the idel on my e303 . What do you have for a cam? I used oven cleaner on an old set and it cleaned the hell out of them. Powerfull stuff . Dont breath it in ..

I haven’t picked a cam yet since I don’t know what springs I have. I have to test them then I will know if I can use roller, or flat tappet lifters. I will update when I take it to the machine shop. Good luck on setting the idle on the e-303.