Educate me on 4.6L turbo systems

My ProCharger just blew it's seals (I think) and I am looking either to get a D1SC or an F1-R. OR, I might just convert to turbo. Problem is, I don't know a whole lot about the pros/cons other than turbo lag. How much power would a turbo kit put out? Price for one? My engine can handle a ton of power, as can my transmission and fuel setup. What are some of the best kits? Educate me please so I can make a smart decision.

• Sponsors (?)

Being as you already have the supporting mods like fuel and a built engine and whatnot, I doubt a turbo system would cost much at all...depending on if you do a remote mount setup or a manifold type setup. Remote setup would probably be fairly cheap whereas a regular setup would probably be a little more, couple grand probably?

Another vote for Hellion..
kit.jpg

You can customize the kits for your needs as well:
http://www.hellionpowersystems.com/kit_99_04.php

a properly sized twin turbo kit will have no noticable lag and still have killer top end. if you go with a large single, there will some noticable lag and killer top end power. with V8 torque and numerically higher gears, lag is really not that much of an issue. personally, i'd go with a twin turbo kit. but really, either one will make the car fast as hell. as for power, i wouldn't be surprised if your car made just as much or more power @ 8psi with a turbo kit as 14psi made with the P1sc. another benefit of a turbo = no belt slip worries!

Yep, I shredded a belt and busted the tensioner about a week ago on it. I am hoping the oil I found in the intake piping was because my bypass valve was messed up and not a seal on the blower. If it's more than that though, I'm not so sure I want to even deal with the supercharged setup again. I got some info from Hellion and they seem really nice and have a great kit, only factor is the $$. My friends and I can do the install, but still a few thousand to convert is a lot.

Ok, given the situation...turbo is a great alternative. I would really reccomend buying a kit though, what we are doing is EXTREMELY involved...and on my own, NO WAY I would attempt it. Fortunatly my dad use to build homes and crap so he is extremely good with cutting things like bent pipe and making precise curves....and he is also a pretty good welder :D.

IMO you should sell your IC, blower, and headers...then buy something like this www.turbohorsepower.com and delet the things that you dont need, like the injectors, MAF, fuel pump, ect.

You probably wouldnt spend THAT much, but atleast you would have EVERYTHING (hoses, clamps, everything) and it would fit lol.

hotmustang331 said:
Ok, given the situation...turbo is a great alternative. I would really reccomend buying a kit though, what we are doing is EXTREMELY involved...and on my own, NO WAY I would attempt it. Fortunatly my dad use to build homes and crap so he is extremely good with cutting things like bent pipe and making precise curves....and he is also a pretty good welder :D.

IMO you should sell your IC, blower, and headers...then buy something like this www.turbohorsepower.com and delet the things that you dont need, like the injectors, MAF, fuel pump, ect.

You probably wouldnt spend THAT much, but atleast you would have EVERYTHING (hoses, clamps, everything) and it would fit lol.

Wow.. good call hotmustang!

Soooo.. if I ever turbo my car, think you'd wanna make my headers? :D

:jester: just kidding!... N/A 4 Life bishes! :mad:

Thanks for the respones everyone. As far as the difficulty of installing the kit or bending pipe, a good friend of mine works at a custom car shop so none of that, including welding/pipe bending is an issue. I'm also tossing around the idea of just doing to D-1SC or an F1 style ProCharger, I've heard about the seals letting go on the P-1SC. Thoughts on that route?

Kilgore Trout said:
All I know about turbo is it costs a freaking fortune. Expect to spend $10,000 to do it right with the twin turbo, tune, and everything.

I believe the only way you'll see $10,000 is with a top of the line twin turbo kit AND internals, usually with a new kmember and coilover kit as well.

HP Twin Turbo anyone? I always hear good things from them. Personally I'm waiting for the STS remote kit to come out, but I'm not sure if that'll be a big power producer.

No I wouldnt reccomend HP's kit...their turbo placement is too low, and they have oil drain back problems...the oil builds up and then leaks into the hotside. Result is a noticable cloud of smoke while at idle....one guy said that an old lady pulled up next to him and is like "sir, I think your car is on fire". Then he looks over and sees that they are seperated by a huge cloud of smoke....then casually says "Thanks, but this is normal". LOL

Personally if I pay $8000 to have this turbo system installed and tuned, I dont want it smoking like a freight train. :)

Boosted98GT said:
Easier, cheaper-yeah. More HP for the same amount of boost-no way.
i never said "probably the same if not more hp than a turbo setup, with the same amount of boost"

turbos will make more hp at the same level of boost. no arguement here, it's a fact but not really a problem. just install a smaller pulley and up the boost

on a stock car that might be a problem but the car in question is forged and has a fuel setup to handle it

I am currently looking at a ball bearing single turbo setup - a Garret GT4202R ball bearing single, capable of over 1000 at the wheels. It would be fully custom from a race shop on the west side of Cleveland, owned by a friend of a friend. I will know more probably on monday. I also have a guy on another mustang board who would sell me an F1 or F1R for $1500 + my bad P-1SC, which is another option.