EGR Delete?

louieb

Jul 13, 2012
I had a question about the cooling fluid running into. and out of my accufab throttle body.

Why does coolant flow through the throttle body anyway? I noticed it leaking slightly at one of the bolts. Just a bit wet, damage to gasket. but if this junk get in my intake I am gonna need a whole new engine.

can the cooling passages be deleted?
how do i just 86 the egr all together?

thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

You can just disconnect the water lines if you want, or you can remove the entire spacer if you want to delete the EGR.
There are others things you need to do to delete the EGR, but that is part of it.
RJM makes a small resistor device that you can plug into the EGR and block that part out.
The rest is just plumbing.

unless you are building a 1/4 mile car deleting the egr causes more problems than it solves. the ecu shuts off the EGR at wot anyhow. if you have a leak pick up a new set of throttle body gaskets and reinstall. while you are at it I would supply new hoses and clamps if necessary as well.

I have the resistor on one of ours, tuned out of the ECM on another, then just taken off 2 other vehicles.
I get CEL every once in a while on the 2 that are disconnected, but no issues on the other 2.
If you put the sensor in the neutral positition and lock there, the ECM won't change the tune to EGR.
It is set up to open the EGR, and then only change the tune when the sensor confirms the valve is open.
If the valve never opens, it won't change the tune.

You are better off avoiding the resistor and letting the CEL come on. A code 33 will disable the EGR function in the computer. Putting in the resistor may keep that function active and cause potential lean issues.

There is no real performance issue with deleting the EGR. It's usually done because a certain intake or set of heads doesn't allow for it. The benefits of keeping the EGR active are reduced fuel consumption during cruise. So if the car is used as a daily driver, it's perhaps in your better interest to keep the EGR functional.

Proper EGR deletion really requires a tune to turn the function off. With the lower intake off, the ports can be blocked at the heads by Intake gaskets which block the gaskets, or use a pair of razor blades with the fat edge taken off.

The cooling lines are there more for EGR cooling vs icing. I don't doubt that they do help prevent icing, but the 93 Cobra came witout the lines and it doesn't seem to be an issue for the thousands of cars running around with a Cobra intake on. Granted...they have an EGR too.

With the lower intake off, the ports can be blocked at the heads by Intake gaskets which block the gaskets, or use a pair of razor blades with the fat edge taken off.
If the EGR runs through the intake, you can pull the upper, and the little hole between the 8 intake ports, you can tap it for a 1/2" pipe plug, then replace the upper. I have done that, and it works fine. The hole is already proplerly sized for the tap, no drilling required. (You can do the lower if you already have the lower off the engine)