Engine EGR spacer rear hose replacement. '93 5.0

terryls

Jul 3, 2020
I just need to replace the rear hose but I can't reach the lower end of the hose to loosen the clamp.
What are the parts I would need to remove in order to replace the rear hose? It is definitely in need of replacement.
Thank you for your help

• Sponsors (?)

A throttle body gasket kit and replacement hoses for anything else you can reach while in there.
It doesn't appear that the rear hose is being obstructed by the spacer. I replaced it and the front hose, during the install, I could see the rear hose and I could see the hose clamp, I could even reach it with two fingers but I couldn't get any type of wrench or socket anywhere close to it to loosen it. It's attached, doesn't leak, it's just the original hose. I have the new replacement, just can't figure out how much of the engine I need to take apart to gain access to it.

Then put the new clamp on so it can be rewatched easier. Does the clamp for a slotted screwdriver? A pair of mini needle nose Vice Grips (Or Short Crescent wrench) and short screwdriver bit have gotten me out of hard to work on spots before.

He is telling you to take the throttle body off.
Thank you for the quick response. So, with the throttle body off, I can still only see where the hose goes straight down, and is completely surrounded. If I put my hand under the heater hoses, I can touch the hose clamp but there is no room to get any type of wrench on it, much less turn one. Hopefully the attachment explains better. I have the full $100.00 service manual and it doesn't touch on this issue.

Attachments

• stang rear hose.jpg
    stang rear hose.jpg
    711.7 KB · Views: 146
Then put the new clamp on so it can be rewatched easier. Does the clamp for a slotted screwdriver? A pair of mini needle nose Vice Grips (Or Short Crescent wrench) and short screwdriver bit have gotten me out of hard to work on spots before.
It is a 1/4 with slot. with some effort, I can jam my hand into the space and barelt touch the clamp. There's no room to get any tool in this area.
See attached.

Attachments

• stang rear hose.jpg
    stang rear hose.jpg
    711.7 KB · Views: 148
Try taking the nut from the heater tube bracket, it's on a stud-bolt about middle of the line of intake bolts. You also take the heater hoses off the tube, the tube should move around a small amount, enough to get to the egr coolant hose clamp.

yuk. What a bear. even with the EGR/Throttle body off, no room to reach it. There is a wiring harness that's in the way as well. If you tie this harness off with string and lash it off to the side, you can /SEE/ the clamp but no closer to getting a socket on the end of it. Since only the end of the hose was swollen, I cut an inch off and reattached. I'll pay the dealer to replace it someday. Hopefully with a steel braided hose. Never want to mess with that thing again. Hope this helps someone. I remember taking the firewall heater hoses off That was a huge chore.

I replaced the missing hoses with fuel injection rubber hose and do not remember it being that big of a PITA. It was not fun, but it was not such a problem that I remember needing more than the 1/4” drive socket stuff. Maybe I was lucky the factory pieces were off and capped.
Btw, vacuum caps do not last long as clamped coolant caps.